Snow conditions on palisades

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fernandoe@yahoo.com

Snow conditions on palisades

by fernandoe@yahoo.com » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi, I am planning a trip to Mount Sill and Polemonium on August 5th. I am planning on the South Fork Big Pine Creek, camp just below lake Elinore, then up the saddle between Gayley and SIll, Swiss Arete, and traverse to Polemonium. Has anyone been in this area recently? What is the snowpack? I am debating bringing crampons or not.

Deb

Re: Snow conditions on palisades

by Deb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

As a reference from last year's trip down South Fork from Temple Crag, there was a lot of snow early summer so I would expect there to be a decent amount in 3 weeks (the stream crossing may be a wet one). Snow shouldn't pose any problem since it is nicely consolidated but beware of boulder wells. Very cool area!
You may need crampons to descend L couloir....

hailman

by hailman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:46 pm

I like the South Fork, too. Just got back from a trip to Temple Crag on Monday (7/17), here's a few pics:

Still looking pretty wintry out there! Streams and lakes are all high. We walked all the way around Third Lake to access our climbing route since the log bridge at the outlet looked really sketchy (logs were partly floating).

If it were me, I would bring crampons and axe for confidence in moving faster. Although at least this past weekend it was warm enough that we were able to kick steps in approach shoes early in the morning. We just had our axes out for arrest.

Things will change lots in a few weeks but hope that helps!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 pm

fernandoe@yahoo.com wrote:Hi, I am planning a trip to Mount Sill and Polemonium on August 5th. I am planning on the South Fork Big Pine Creek, camp just below lake Elinore, then up the saddle between Gayley and SIll, Swiss Arete, and traverse to Polemonium. Has anyone been in this area recently? What is the snowpack? I am debating bringing crampons or not.

Please advise on conditions when you return. I am planning a trip into South Fork for Middle Palisade 8/12. Thanks in advance.

Return to California