Gannett Peak - Wells Creek Cleft Beta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
montanajames

Gannett Peak - Wells Creek Cleft Beta

by montanajames » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm

I have a small group approaching Gannett via either Tourist Creek or Wells Creek at the beginning of September and am wondering if anybody can describe the crux of the Cleft in the Wells Creek approach in greater detail, specifically the option of crossing the creek. It has been a hot year, so I'm anticipating that the water may be low in the creek that late in the summer and that the Cleft may be easily passable. My group will not be comfortable on 5.6, so if you think the Creek is not easily crossable, we will use the Tourist approach. Thanks for any info you can share!!!

montanajames

Re: Gannett Peak - Wells Creek Cleft Beta

by montanajames » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I've read in several trip reports that when the water is low enough, you can "jump over" or even "step over" a critical gap that needs to be crossed to navigate this route without climbing the 5.6 rock. Does anyone have direct experience or pictures of this spot?

stinkysox77

by stinkysox77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Just from looking at it, the climb up wells creek to Scott lake looks pretty gnarly. Considering that creek is glacial fed I'm not sure how low the water will be, it'll certainly be lower than during peak snow melt, but is probably still running.

montanajames

by montanajames » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Found some updated trip reports that had all the info I needed. If anyone else is looking, check these out!

What not to do: http://www.offthepavedroad.com/archive/ ... enture.htm

What to do: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kniephof/ ... 767730259/

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)