Prescription glasses trouble!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
JimVenne

Prescription glasses trouble!

by JimVenne » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:38 am

Hi, this is my first post and I hope it is in the right section. I have searched this forum a bit to find a problem similar to mine, but couldn't find anything quite like it. So here is my problem.

I want to get prescription glacier glasses but I wear prescription glasses and I usually have to change them every 2-3 years because my vision keeps dropping. Paying for new prescription glasses and glacier glasses every 2-3 years would be too expensive for me so I want a solution for that.

I know there are OTG goggles out there, but wearing goggles in the summer is not winner.

I thought about getting transition lenses. Are they good for summer and for ice/snow sun reflection or are they only good for sun in general? Because if they are good for snow/ice reflection, I could get transition and OTG goggles for high altitudes only.

Hope you guys can give me some info and tips.

Thank you!

sharperblue

Re: Prescription glasses trouble!

by sharperblue » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 am

If you want glasses for Glacier with a Capital 'G' travel, my opinion is either wear contacts with glacier goggles/eyewear over them, or get a pair of glasses that will fit beneath them (my solution) - the problem with what you want to do - IMO - is that you won't be able to 'close' the system (ie, you'll get too much light leakage around the frames/lenses to do you any real good in full-on conditions) - my opinion

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:04 am

I don't know what your specific situation is, and maybe you really need the glacier glasses, but I've observed that some folks tend to get them when normal sunglasses would perform well enough.

Maybe doesn't apply for what you want. But just in case it's something to consider.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 am

I usually want Glacier glasses around the 4500 M (14,750 feet) mark.
I would contact a place like this and I would go with the Julbo frames.

http://www.opticus.com/

Lots of big mountains, you can only physically climb about 5 hours a day, so you will do a lot of reading, you might consider having the readers built in as a bifocal.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:27 am

I wouldn't trust transition glasses alone, but I wore them with "side protectors" and had no worries.

Depends on who you listen to. I was told (for years) that I could go blind looking at "GIRLY PICTURES."
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:06 am

+1 for Opticus. I got excellent help from them in picking a lens, then received glasses that I swear offer better vision than those from my local optometrist.

As for your changing prescription... how often do you wear glasses? If you are like me, it's pretty much whenever my eyes are open. A couple hundred bucks is pretty reasonable for something that I can use 365 days a year for a few years. And who knows- wearing glasses that protect your eyes might even decrease your need for future new lenses (only guessing- ask your optometrist).

I got glacier glasses for below 20k feet (at Opticus recommendation), so they are not the very darkest. They are also slightly photosensitive, so work well for any sunny day activity, including driving the car.

no avatar
JimVenne

by JimVenne » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 am

splattski wrote:+1 for Opticus. I got excellent help from them in picking a lens, then received glasses that I swear offer better vision than those from my local optometrist.

As for your changing prescription... how often do you wear glasses? If you are like me, it's pretty much whenever my eyes are open. A couple hundred bucks is pretty reasonable for something that I can use 365 days a year for a few years. And who knows- wearing glasses that protect your eyes might even decrease your need for future new lenses (only guessing- ask your optometrist).

I wear glasses 24/7 365 days a year. My prescription glasses cost around 450$ every time I change them (frame in the price). True that it's not a lot for a whole year, but still.

As for Opticus, I am from Canada, so I don't know if they ship/work with Canadians.

Thanks for all the answers yet!

*Quick edit : you guys say your wear glacier glasses at high altitudes (saw 4500m), what do you wear before? Normal sunglasses? (Closed on the side?).

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:10 am

JimVenne wrote:
splattski wrote: you guys say your wear glacier glasses at high altitudes (saw 4500m), what do you wear before? Normal sunglasses? (Closed on the side?).

a broad brimmed hat! (seriously) for most stuff, else alti-arc4 lenses in glacier glasses by Julbo, up to 6500m

p.vandendriesse

by p.vandendriesse » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm

I know you said wearing goggles in summer is a deal breaker, but there are some lighter/less intrusive goggles on the market? If other decide to go that route, that is. I know this post is pretty old :D

LIke these? http://www.otg-goggles.com/top-over-the ... gles-2017/

Return to Gear