Whippet?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
buckie06

Whippet?

by buckie06 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I've been thinking about getting one for this season. Seems like it would be nice as a second tool on steeper terrain, or as a just in case on gentler terrain.

But then I think its just a gimmick and skiing down I'll stab myself in the leg.

Does anyone have one? pros/cons? what do others think of them?

96avs01

Re: Whippet?

by 96avs01 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Have one, it goes on every winter trip. I've used it to arrest a slide where I lost an edge on icy terrain (but this was after practicing self arrest beforehand). Have many descents using it safely without injury nor clothing damage.

The following user would like to thank 96avs01 for this post
Jesus Malverde

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Buck,
More info from 96avs01 as well..
http://www.summitpost.org/outdoor-gear/whippet/5211

no avatar
buckie06

by buckie06 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks! I think I'll pick one up

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 pm

I use mine often. Where the 2009 model sucks: 1) You can't drive it in deep enough for a good self-belay; 2) the Al shaft will bend at times when you are attempting to quasi-self-belay.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:43 am

MoapaPk wrote:I use mine often. Where the 2009 model sucks: 1) You can't drive it in deep enough for a good self-belay; 2) the Al shaft will bend at times when you are attempting to quasi-self-belay.

I doubt the designers ever intended use as you've described, unless I'm misunderstanding your description. The Whippet, at least in my understanding and use, was designed for a self arrest situation not a self belay. If I feel the need for a self belay, I'd have out an ice axe. YMMV

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

96avs01 wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I use mine often. Where the 2009 model sucks: 1) You can't drive it in deep enough for a good self-belay; 2) the Al shaft will bend at times when you are attempting to quasi-self-belay.

I doubt the designers ever intended use as you've described, unless I'm misunderstanding your description. The Whippet, at least in my understanding and use, was designed for a self arrest situation not a self belay. If I feel the need for a self belay, I'd have out an ice axe. YMMV

Exactly. What I'm trying to say is: it's NOT going to replace one of the key functions of an ice axe. I'm not sure what "gentler terrain" means, but 40 degree slopes on iffy snow can be serious, and there are times you may want to self-belay on the way down. I've never had to do a real self-arrest with it, but practiced arrests with it, and it did a really good job on that.

I actually bent mine in a totally different way. I wasn't skiing, just descending a woods through some steep snow banks in June. I had taken off the basket, and was punching through the hard snow 3"-1', when I slipped. I held onto the hand grip of the whippet, expecting it would pull out and I would self-arrest. But it just bent just under my sudden weight. Later I was carrying it, and someone told me the reason she didn't use it, was because that exact same thing happened to her.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:47 am

One trekking pole and one camp corsa will do the trick. Same weight as a whippet but is much better.

beean

by beean » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 pm

Whippets are tools for steep skiing in hard snow conditions. They are meant to compliment an ice axe, not replace one. Think steep and exposed routes in spring. Use it to secure yourself immediately as you fall. Your skiing style will affect the effectiveness of it as well.

If you are climbing something you think you need a whippet on, it's best to take and use an axe as well.

Strapping your axe to your pole for the descent to use as a whippet is a terrible alternative to just buying one. I've done this and wished I just had a whippet instead.

Return to Gear