Mount Charleston in March - Conditions? Gear?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
jerky1280

Mount Charleston in March - Conditions? Gear?

by jerky1280 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 am

I'm heading to Vegas the end of March, and would like to hike Mount Charleston. Based on the reading I've done, I expect snow cover, but was hoping for some local insight if available. I've hiked snow-covered 14ers previously with microspikes - can I expect the snow conditions to be firm enough for microspikes, or should I come with snowshoes? I'm just looking for traction aid questions - I'll have cold weather insulation gear to be comfortable to zero, and will probably wear a helmet and carry an EPIRB.

Also, what other mountains a short drive from Vegas should I consider?

Tonka

Re: Mount Charleston in March - Conditions? Gear?

by Tonka » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm

You'll be able to answer this question for yourself in mid March. No one can answer it for you now.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Depends entirely on the winter we have, but a typical March has crampon-favorable conditions, not micro-spike conditions.

It may like this (2005, heavy snow year): http://hwstock.org/mums/

or this: (2009, a modest snow year): http://hwstock.org/chuckwin9/

Unless you are really fast or prepared to camp at 10700' (SLT snowshoe), you will probably go up the Big Falls shortcut, with crampons.

Bring both snowshoes and crampons -- you may need both, you may need neither.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm

jerky1280 wrote:Also, what other mountains a short drive from Vegas should I consider?

Mummy (on way to Charleston) is actually a shorter winter climb.

Depends on the sort of vehicle you have, and how warm it has gotten by then. There are lots of class 3 desert summits near there. Zion is just 160 miles from Vegas as well; some class 3/4 classics up there. Try Bridge Mountain in Red Rock, just west of Vegas; the Pine Creek route doesn't require 4x4, and the routes from willow Creek are also 2wd accessible, if you don't mind an 11 mile day with 4500+ gain.

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 am

MoapaPk wrote:Unless you are really fast or prepared to camp at 10700' (SLT snowshoe), you will probably go up the Big Falls shortcut, with crampons.

Bring both snowshoes and crampons -- you may need both, you may need neither.

Roger on all. I was thinking of bagging Griffith as well, but might want to cut it short. I'll have no altitude acclimation this trip, so my fitness won't be what it could be. I usually move pretty fast, and am planning on being on the trail before dawn. The north/south loop appeals to me, instead of an out & back. Is there a good glissade route down?

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:51 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Unless you are really fast or prepared to camp at 10700' (SLT snowshoe), you will probably go up the Big Falls shortcut, with crampons.

Could anyone expand on the Big Falls shortcut? I couldn't find any info through internet searches.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm

jerky1280 wrote:

Could anyone expand on the Big Falls shortcut? I couldn't find any info through internet searches.

The map in the link above pretty much says it. If needed, I can send a gps track, use at you own risk. It involves climbing up rock/snow that is class 3 in summer. 75' of rope or 15mm tubular webbing highly recommended for the descent.

It is the default route for climbing Charleston _as a day trip_ with appropriate snow conditions.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 am

jerky1280 wrote:Roger on all. I was thinking of bagging Griffith as well, but might want to cut it short. I'll have no altitude acclimation this trip, so my fitness won't be what it could be. I usually move pretty fast, and am planning on being on the trail before dawn. The north/south loop appeals to me, instead of an out & back. Is there a good glissade route down?

As for the NLT: There is an issue crossing from the top of Charleston to the area by Devil's Thumb. There is a section of "trail" in that section, around 11200-11000', that becomes obliterated in the winter, and ends up as a 50 degree snow slope on top of a large drop. One has to sidehill across this very sketchy stretch, which typically has unreliable snow. Most avoid this stretch entirely in winter.

Glissading depends entirely on the snow conditions. Much of the slope is punctuated by cliff bands.

If the snow conditions are "right" some people climb directly up the Griffith avalanche chute from the SLT; the average slope is only about 28 degrees, with steep sections over cliff bands (buried, I hope). Avalanches are common before the snow is consolidated.

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:48 am

MoapaPk wrote:As for the NLT: There is an issue crossing from the top of Charleston to the area by Devil's Thumb. There is a section of "trail" in that section, around 11200-11000', that becomes obliterated in the winter, and ends up as a 50 degree snow slope on top of a large drop. One has to sidehill across this very sketchy stretch, which typically has unreliable snow. Most avoid this stretch entirely in winter.

Good to know, thanks!

MoapaPk wrote:If the snow conditions are "right" some people climb directly up the Griffith avalanche chute from the SLT; the average slope is only about 28 degrees, with steep sections over cliff bands (buried, I hope). Avalanches are common before the snow is consolidated.

I was doing some map study and considered that for a route, but hadn't asked about it. I saw those cliff bands, and thought they would either be covered, or I avoid them by sticking to the side of the avalanche chute.

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 am

Good evening all. Just wondering if I could get an update on snow conditions. I know that no one can forecast a last-minute snow, but I was wondering what the winter's been like thus far. I'm looked at the two webcams on the mountain (Lee Valley and the Charleston Lodge) and they show very different amounts of snow. I'm probably going to come with crampons and show shoes, if the conditions demand both.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)