LOWE ALPINE Mountain Attack 35-45 lt. Review

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Mandragora

LOWE ALPINE Mountain Attack 35-45 lt. Review

by Mandragora » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 am

This past winter I was searching for a backpack that I could use it for 2 days (one night) trips to the mountain. This new backpack I wanted to have several features for winter mountaineering and to be within my budget. The previous years, for such excursions I was using the Lowe Alpine Cholatse II 55-65 lt backpack. This backpack was great, though the 55-65 litres where never filled up and therefore I did not want to carry extra weight and volume on my back.

Read full review with more photos here: https://olympusmountaineering.wordpress ... lt-review/

I have searched on several high-end brands such as Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face and even to the ultra light cottage brands such as Hyperlite Mountain Gear and specifically the 2400 Ice Pack. Finally, the decision was made due to 50% discount offer on the Mountain Attack and I have never regret it.

I find the Mountain Attack to be a medium length fit. The strap adjustments are easy to use and the length of the back panel suits me well. The hip belt fit well, was comfortable and the gear loops on the hip belt were the big, plastic covered ones (similar to an actual harness) and could be used easily if needed.

The shoulder straps are well padded and very comfortable even with heavy loads. I have loaded the Mountain Attack with full winter mountaineering equipment for a weekend (total 14 kg.) and I have never had any problem with the shoulder straps.

Lowe Alpine describe this pack as a ‘a true all rounder, the Mountain Attack is perfect for mountaineering, hut to hut alpine adventures and winter ski touring trips.’ The rucksack is definitely well featured but, although is has everything you want in a technical mountaineering pack, I was delighted to see it has nothing more.

The Mountain Attack has a single compartment which can be accessed either by a long side zip or the traditional top opening. Lowe Alpine have used their lightweight and yet durable TriShield® Grid fabric for the main body and the well padded back panel features air mesh fabric for comfort and breathability. The pack features Lowe Alpine’s ‘Adaptive Fit’ which is designed to allow the harness to cope with varying body shapes and it also has a removable frame.

Features:

Nylon TRISHIELD fabric, super strong yet lightweight.
    Webcatcher and Headlocker system to carry axes, poles and skis
    Under lid versatile crampon and rope carrier
    Padded back panel with ventilation channel
    Removable padded hip belt
    Side compression straps
    Zipped side access
    Hydration compatible
    Internal valuables pocket
    Wand pockets
    Grab handle

Read full review with more photos here: https://olympusmountaineering.wordpress ... lt-review/

staringcontest

Re: LOWE ALPINE Mountain Attack 35-45 lt. Review

by staringcontest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 am

I like Lowe Alpine. I own the trimmed down Alpine Attack version of this pack. I love everything except for the complicated floating lid design and the wimpy hipbelt. I cut off the hipbelt and sewed on a system that lets me attach a removable burly one and remove it when needed.

no avatar
Mandragora

Re: LOWE ALPINE Mountain Attack 35-45 lt. Review

by Mandragora » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:32 am

staringcontest wrote:I like Lowe Alpine. I own the trimmed down Alpine Attack version of this pack. I love everything except for the complicated floating lid design and the wimpy hipbelt. I cut off the hipbelt and sewed on a system that lets me attach a removable burly one and remove it when needed.

I was aiming to the Alpint Attack too, though, in the period I wanted to buy it was out of stock in my country. Therefore, I decided to go for the similar model, the Mountain Attack.
It would be interesting to see the modifications you have done on your pack. If you have the wish and time, please post a couple of photos. :)

Return to Gear