More Ads Lately?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
jfrishmanIII

Re: More Ads Lately?

by jfrishmanIII » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Here's what one of my pages looks like today. I must say, Summitpost is still inspiring me to get the hell off the internet and head to the mountains. But no longer for the right reasons.

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
brichardsson

surgent

by surgent » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 pm

I, for one, welcome our sponsor overlords.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
McCannster

boyblue

by boyblue » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 am

jfrishmanIII wrote:Here's what one of my pages looks like today. I must say, Summitpost is still inspiring me to get the hell off the internet and head to the mountains. But no longer for the right reasons.

Like the above example, it's the same ad over and over again- in just about every paragraph. Guess where I WON'T be doing my Christmas shopping this year.

The following user would like to thank boyblue for this post
chugach mtn boy, Kiefer, Lodewijk, Marcsoltan

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 am

The amount of ads is ridiculous, but the way they are popping up in the middle of pages is even worse.
The whole layout of many pages is screwed up...
I normally like creating pages here on SP, but to be honest this might stop me from creating any more.

The following user would like to thank Lodewijk for this post
chugach mtn boy, Old School WB, yatsek

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Old School WB wrote:The new extra ads do mess format of pages. I am to referring my older pages for details and info as I am adding new photos for a new Mountain page. Looking at them, format, including interruption of table cells, is messed up by ads. Appears at each section break, new paragraphs or tables, an ad pops in. WAY MORE ADS THEN BEFORE !!

Disappointing.

What makes this site work is volunteer labor. And one thing a lot of the volunteers work on very hard, for no pay, is getting a pleasing layout for their pages. This new ad management company has no appreciation for that. It is looking for short-term revenue count, but long term it will drive away both viewers and contributors. Lose the contributors, and the site is truly dead.
Last edited by chugach mtn boy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
boyblue, jfrishmanIII, Kiefer, Lodewijk, Marcsoltan, MarkDidier, Old School WB, yatsek

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 pm

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Marcsoltan, Old School WB

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm

I think something should be done before the big contributors head for the door.

The following user would like to thank Marcsoltan for this post
Woodie Hopper

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Did anyone read this post?:
more-ads-lately-t82496.html#p1020540

To reiterate:

There aren't any more ads than before.

The changes are temporary at best because the entire site is going to look drastically different in a few days to a couple of weeks (at most).

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Montana Matt wrote:Did anyone read this post?:
more-ads-lately-t82496.html#p1020540

To reiterate:

The changes are temporary at best because the entire site is going to look drastically different in a few days to a couple of weeks (at most).

Understood perfectly, Matt. No additional adds here on Summit Post. The point people are making is that the new add layout, inside the body of the pages, is causing a great deal of problems having to scroll up, down, and side to side to see the page. I looked at one of my "Area" pages and saw the same add "climb 5.12s," or something to that effect, on top of every section/chapter. Having to wait for two weeks or a month should be of no consequence, as far as I am concerned, but if this new add company is going to make this new method of inserting adds to the pages standard, then I think you are going to have a very unhappy membership on your hands.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:09 am

Marcsoltan wrote:if this new add company is going to make this new method of inserting adds to the pages standard, then I think you are going to have a very unhappy membership on your hands.

Totally understandable. We weren't sure about how this would work out so this was a trial period before major style changes happen on SP. Please don't get too worked up over something that isn't going to be around more than a month or so...

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Kiefer, Marcsoltan

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 am

Montana Matt wrote:To reiterate:

The key problem is inserting ads into tables and otherwise destroying basic page formatting. Much as I appreciate all you do, Matt, you have to have a little respect on your own side for the creativity of the free contributors who are doing 98% of the work for you. It's too bad the need to respect format wasn't communicated to the new ad company, but hopefully it's understood by the designers of the new "look" for the site.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:51 am

...and I still have not heard why the 'Minimal Ads' user profile setting fails to work.

Old School WB

by Old School WB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 am

No additional ad content? This confuses me; I assume repeating the same ad banner 20 times in the body of page counts as 1? Not as 20 annoying interruptions in the carefully created page layout? I had some extra time right now and was hoping to get 3 or 4 pages up on summitpost before the end of the year, but why bother when format will be all f’ed. I will wait to see what the new site format looks like before I bother.

The following user would like to thank Old School WB for this post
chugach mtn boy, Lodewijk, seano, yatsek

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:20 pm

I am in the same spot, WB. I finally have some time and some new Africa content to post.
Then I look at what happened to the page Gangolf just put up last weekend, and I get discouraged, because I don't know how I'd format it:

seano

by seano » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:38 am

Don't visit this site unless you're fully armored against malicious web garbage. "adpushup.com" seems to be the latest addition.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
brichardsson

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback