Trip Suggestions for Alps?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
rpiontek

Trip Suggestions for Alps?

by rpiontek » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm planning two weeks in the Alps. Have some experience on rock, but none on snow. Thinking of dividing the time half between hiking and the other half as an introduction to mountaineering. The first week of hiking could hopefully be used also to get used to the altitude. Any suggestions for week long treks that go high but stay off of terrain that we need to be roped up for?

I was looking at the Haute Route, but this includes glacier travel. Could we learn what we need to know to be safe on this route in a couple of days with a guide? I know there is also the 'hikers haute route', but it seems that this would be too low in elvation to help much with the acclimation. Any thoughts are appreciated.

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Please pass along a few more details of your experience and fitness levels - this will help us suggest an itinerary for you.

rpiontek

by rpiontek » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:10 pm

Well, I have a fair amount of experience backpacking/hiking, if that's what you mean. My longest trip being about 100 miles in 7 days, small mountains, low elevation. On rock I would call myself a begining trad leader. I've lead maybe 20 pitches (single pitch only). Followed some on multi-pitch climbs. Some basic familiarity with rescue.

I was looking at the tour of Monte Rosa last night, which would be good except there is one day which requires glacier travel. Hmmm?

Return to Europe