Mountaineering Associations of China?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
matthewtraver

Mountaineering Associations of China?

by matthewtraver » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:54 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to get a grasp of what Climbing/Mountaineering Associations exist within China. There is the CMA, China Xinjiang Mountaineering Association, Sichuan Mountaineering Association that I am aware of the official names... what more is there? A little listing on here would be great.

Cheers

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:02 am

CMA is in Beijing
CTMA is in Lhasa
XMA is in Kashgar (Urumqi?)
SMA in Chengdu.
There are even Yunnan and (I think) Qinghai offices, though much smaller, obviously.

I dealt with the CTMA Lhasa last year for Kula Kangri. All pretty easy by email. You do need to get it perfectly clear what you are paying for though, and make sure you get it when you arrive at Zhangmu/Lhasa etc.

All in all I thought that side of things went OK with our trip. Much better than it used to be even 10yrs ago and good value, compared to Nepal or India, when you consider what you get, the scope for first ascents, new areas etc. Some things are out of their control (not just the weather) like the quality of hotels in different towns - hotel in Shigatse was really good, hotel in Nagartse was shit.

One of our guys had gear stolen from the truck in Shigatse on the way home. The LO was not interested in helping, though we eventually got the police in. I also emailed the CTMA about it and never got a reply. By then the trip was over and they had their money.

D

Return to Asia