Trip to German/Austrian Alps this weekend?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
rpiontek

Trip to German/Austrian Alps this weekend?

by rpiontek » Sun May 21, 2006 9:27 pm

I was planning to do some via ferrata this weekend in the German/Austrian Alps, but now I'm realizing that there will probably be too much snow. Any thoughts about that? I was looking near either Zugspitze or Innsbruck since they seem to have a high density of Via Ferratas.

On the other hand, I have bought an ice axe and crampons and other basic equipment for a mountaineering class I will take this summer. Any suggestions for hikes on very easy snow where I could start to get familiar with the equipment?

pingzingr

Zugspitze through Hollentalklamm

by pingzingr » Sun May 21, 2006 10:28 pm

Zugspitze up through the Hollentalklamm might be a good way. I would say take the ice axe and crampons because you will need them to make it up the glacier before the final pitch. The final pitch would be the crux though based on the amount of snow that is left up there. From the Hammersbach parking to the glacier SHOULD BE relatively snow and ice free by this time of year. But again I am typing this from Afghanistan based on a couple of trips over a few years down to Garmisch and the area...better to hopefully get a local to key ya in or check the webcam on top of the Zugspitze.

Lukas Kunze

by Lukas Kunze » Mon May 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Another option may be "Tajakante" near Coburger hut (still closed but has a winter room with a key at the door). At 2000m and above is still much snow on the north sides of the mountains. This via ferrata is quite difficult and on the NW side of the mountain Tajakopf.

Here are some photos http://www.extreme-collect.de/html/tajakante.html of the via ferrata.

To get there start at Ehrwald or Biberwier and go up to Coburger hut (stay there for a night if required) either via Biberwierscharte or Ehrwalder Alm.

Return to Europe