Pyrenees in dec/jan

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
soderkisen

Pyrenees in dec/jan

by soderkisen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi, going to Spain (Girona) over new year. I'm going to do some winter-sort-of trekking and climbing while I'm there. Planned to be in the mountain area between Benasque and Caldes de Boi. First I was thinking about renting a car but maybe using other services is cheaper and better for the enviroment?

Is there anyone on SP who knows how to get to either Benasque or Caldes de Boi from Girona? Is there coaches going that way from Girona or do I have to travel to Barcelona first? Any other tips about the area would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, keep on climbing... 8)

Sarrau

by Sarrau » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:59 pm

The first thing that you have to do, is to travel to Barcelona, from there you can travel in autobus to different places, for example to go to Benasque you have to travel first to Huesca and from Huesca take another bus to Benasque, going for Barbastro, Graus and Castejón de Sos. From Barcelona to Huesca they are 4 hours and from Huesca to Benasque 3 hours. If you want to go to Cataluña tu have to go for Coll de Fadas in Laspaules. I hope that the information uses you as something.

soderkisen

by soderkisen » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:48 am

Ok, thanks a lot. That was pretty much what I was expecting. The highway passing through Barcelona will probably be faster than taking the smaller roads more directly in to the Pyrenees. Correct?

Guess I'll have to take the car anyway... :wink:

John Climber

by John Climber » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:31 pm

You'll have to go to Barcelona first. From there there is a company of buses called Alsina Graells which makes the trips to Lleida and, from there to Pont de Suert. Check my page of 'Montardo' and of 'Punta Alta' (within 'mountains & rocks):

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... tardo.html

or

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -alta.html

At this last link (of Punta Alta) you have a link to the page of Alsina Graells working...
Those two trips are based from Caldes de Bois.

Good luck

soderkisen

by soderkisen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:28 pm

John Climber:
Thanks for the link, I checked that page and it seems to take me where I want to go. Altough, because the lack of time I'll have to take the car anyway. But I sure keep that bus company in mind the next time I visit the Pyrenees...

:D

Return to Europe