Round the world: Asia

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Scott Dusek

Round the world: Asia

by Scott Dusek » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 pm

Hello everyone,

Between 12 and 20 month from now I'm going to leave on a trip around the world. On the agenda is South America, Africa, Asia and Austrailia. Europe is up in the air, I'm more interested in going to lesser developed places. It's fair to assume that I will be alone for much to the time but will not climb alone unless it's super mellow.

My Quesion: I'd like to do 1 trek and 1 climib in both Nepal and India. The trek can be up the three weeks long. For climbing I'd like to stay under ~23,000ft (7,000m) and even that is probably a bit much. Something between 17,000ft and 19,000ft (~5,000m) is probably perfect.

I'm interested in the most scenic peaks I can climb. I'm not trying to impress anyone with technical difficulty or altitude. 50 degree snow/ice or less and reasonable exposure would be great. I'm not to proud for fixed lines. I'd rather climb something that looks at huge or super crazy mountain(s) than one of the super crazy mountains themselves this trip, I'll be 24 so I think I've got time for those later. I have much to see so I don't want to be in a situation that could easily cut my trip (life?) short, on the other hand I'm a good climber.

Island Peak comes to mind, but I'm sure there's others. Here's what would really help me out:
-Trek suggestions
-Peak suggetstions
-What are the best seasons to be climbing/trekking in these places
-Good books
-General advice to someone that hasn't been to asia

Thanks for all the help, it's safe to assume I don't know anything. The last thing I want is pride getting me into trouble.

-Scotty

no avatar
tauru007

by tauru007 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:02 am

Scotty,
Awesome! Congrats on your journey into the world. Here's some info that may help:

1. Go to Thailand first -- tons of travelers there and a fun start.

2. Pickup a fake copy of a Lonely Planet guide book (for whichever country you fancy on traveling). These books sell brand new for about $5 - $10 and are exact replicas of the originals. They're really good guide books for shoestring travelers. Check them out at your local bookstore/library.

3. Asia is cheap and way fun.

4. As for trekking in Nepal... I've only been to the Khumbu Valley area where Everest sits (other "popular" area is the Annapurna Circuit). EVERYTHING can be done by yourself -- the trail is VERY obvious with tons of trekkers. As for peaks to climb ...check out Lobuche. All can be arranged in Nepal - in Kathmandu.

Tauru

Corax

by Corax » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:45 am

tauru007 wrote:Scotty,
1. Go to Thailand first -- tons of travelers there and a fun start.
4. As for trekking in Nepal... I've only been to the Khumbu Valley area where Everest sits (other "popular" area is the Annapurna Circuit). EVERYTHING can be done by yourself -- the trail is VERY obvious with tons of trekkers. As for peaks to climb ...check out Lobuche. All can be arranged in Nepal - in Kathmandu.

Good advice for a good start!
In Thailand, in Bangkok, head straight to the backpacker's ghetto in Khao San road, Banglampoo.
it's a... .... .... .... weird place, but all the info and inspiration for further travel is there.

Trekking in Nepal.
The new law about having a guide on all treks, isn't that rule already in full swing?

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:29 am

As someone who writes books, I'm not sure I support ripping off someone's intellectual property (i.e., their toil and labor) by buying a cheap bootleg copy, which will probably fall apart much sooner anyway.

Tauru, I have no idea what you do for a living, but I'd bet you'd not welcome someone else advising people to screw you out of it.

That said, a good strategy is to start with a real copy of a LP guide to your first country, which you can swap once you get there for a guide to your next destination, then repeat.

As far as SE Asia goes, there's good rock climbing in Southern Thailand, really nice trekking in North Vietnam around Sapa, and an awesome 13ner on the Malaysian half of Borneo, Mt. Kinabalu. Some of the best scuba diving in the world nearby as well.

If you have interests other than climbing (which I used to) I'd suggest seeing southern Indian as well as the mountain areas.

How long will you be gone?

Scott Dusek

by Scott Dusek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:27 pm

Thanks to all,

Michael, I certainly have interests beyond climbing, but on a climber's board I thought I'd at least start with that common thread. By all means I'd love to hear about adventures further south.

My entire trip will be between 12 and 18 months. Tentatively I'll be in Central America 1 month. South America probably 4-6 months. Africa probably only 1 or 2 months. Asia probably 4-6 months. Australia a month ($$$???). 4 months can be reserved for "maybe I'll stay longer" or "maybe I should go somewhere else"

One of the things weighing on my mind is how to get this all worked out seasonally, it should be possible given that I've going to be in N Hemisphere about half the time and S hemisphere the other half. That said not all my ideas are going to mesh with what's really possible, that's why I'm starting to plan now. I also realize that it's almost a sure thing that at some points (hopefully not multiple points) I'll get sick and probably be robbed (hopefully not at the same time).

I'll have about $15,000 to do this, almost all of that will probably go to airfare. It's not much but I have low standards. Dirt floors and yak dung heating is fine with me. I'd like to try and stay with families as much as possible, hostels and hotels are fine too.

I'm interested in seeing;

Urban
Rural
Wildneress Areas

Things I'd like to do for Adventure:

Rock climbing (trad? don't know if I want to bring all that gear, so probably sport mostly)
Mountaineering (ice? same gear problem as trad)
Trekking
Surfing
Diving
See wildlife
live like the locals

Things I'd like to do in the City:

Party!
Dance (not just shakin' my ass, I'd like to learn some cultural dances too)
Socialize
Improve my language skills
Experience Art, Architecture, Culture, and History
Meet lot's of people and get into all kinds of crazy situations

I'd like to vary my time about 50/50 wildeness/urban, maybe with a slight skewing toward wilderness.

Any info on any of that would be great. Thanks again.
-Scotty

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

There is so much in Asia that it's hard to pick recommendations. Anyway, if you click on my profile, I have the countries in Asia marked in red that I have visited.

Anyway, seasonally, here are the best times to go:

Thailand and most of SE Asia:

November or December through March is prime time in most of SE Asia, but if you go trekking in Vietnam (or possibly Myanmar way up north) in the higher mountains, Jan and Feb are said to be cold, but this is about the only exception in SE Asia. Most is warm to hot year round. June through August is extremely wet and unpleasant in many areas.

India:

November through March for most of the lowlands. Spring is very hot and the Monsoon in summer is not recommended.

March, April, October, November for trekking in Sikkim, but December through February aren't bad either.

For northern India KK and Himalaya, June through September is prime trekking season. Same with Pakistan and all northern Asia if you head up there.

Nepal:

March, April (May for the really big peaks), October, November for trekking, but December through February aren't bad either.

China:

Big place and too many variations. Avoid the monsoon (June through mid-September in SE China. The prime time to visit SE China is anytime October through April, but spring is hot and humid in some areas. Some of the high mountains in southcentral are very cold in winter though.

Tibet is cold and dry in winter. Northern China is really cold in winter, at least in some areas.

Scott Dusek

by Scott Dusek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:47 pm

Thank you Scott!

Exactly what I needed! I'm planning on being in South America roughly from June - October so that should work out very well for avoiding the rainy season in SE Asia...sweet! Too bad I'll have to wait so long to go...

-Scotty

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:01 pm

Some random suggestions (spelling may or may not be correct):

Central America: The absolute must-see is the Maya city of Tikal in Guatemala, one of the most impressive ruins I've seen anywhere. I'm big on this kind of stuff and might actually suggest spending a few weeks on the Maya trail, which includes southern Mexico, Guate and Honduras. There used to be a guidebook called La Ruta Maya, which could be quite helpful.

South America: Climb and trek in the Cord. Blanca; for climbers this is the only part of Peru that really matters, although some of the southern cities are nice and the ruins at MP are decent. Consider trekking the Alpamayo circuit, which takes about 10 days or the more remote Huayhaush.

In Brazil, Rio is one of the most beautiful cities you'll ever see and Bahia in the north is utterly charming.

Africa: Morocco is worth at least a month, fascinating culture, mountaineering and trekking in the High Atlas, sport climbing in the Tondra Gorge. Easy to cross over to southern Spain, where there's good hiking and mountaineering and amazing Moorish palaces (and some of the women's most beautiful women).

Asia:

In India, a country full of glorious ruins, Elora and Adjunta (not far--relatively speaking--from Bombay) stand out. Get there. Varanasi on the Ganges is also unforgettable--and a good jumping off point for either Nepal or making a pilgrimage to the holiest sites in Buddhism, such as Bodigaya.

SE Asia:
Cambodia. Ankor Wat and Phenom Penh for the killing fields (gruesome but essential to understanding this tormented country).

Burma: amazing temple city of Bagan, stunningly gorgeous Inlay Lake.

Indonesia: Java's worth a month. Volcano hiking, massive Buddhist temple at Borobudur, many interesting Muslim holy sites on the north coast that few tourist ever visit. Lombok for the beaches.

Turkey also has a great mix of ancient civilization, colorful culture and good trekking and climbing.

Europe: Eastern Europe is much cheaper than Western. Romania has excellent trekking and the painted monasteries in the east are worth the effort it takes to get there. Bulgaria has the most beautiful women in the world.

God, I want to get on a plane and go somewhere…

mt_daydream

India in May

by mt_daydream » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Scott Patterson wrote:India:

November through March for most of the lowlands. Spring is very hot and the Monsoon in summer is not recommended.

March, April, October, November for trekking in Sikkim, but December through February aren't bad either.

For northern India KK and Himalaya, June through September is prime trekking season. Same with Pakistan and all northern Asia if you head up there.

I would recommend looking at Ladakh area in India. You can save some transit time by taking a flight to Leh from
New Delhi. There are several "trekking" peaks in that area, and access is super easy compared to some other
areas like Sikkim or Garhwal. My friend and I went there in early May to attempt Stok Kangri, and again, I would
highly recommend going in May - it is still early season, so there are no crowds, but you won't encounter snow until
around 5000m. Further, it is really pleasant with the summer heat not yet reaching its peak. Contact me if you
need more info on Ladakh.

PS: I've been thinking about posting pictures and may be a TR from my trip here for a long time. Hopefully, I'll do
it over the X'mas break.

mt_daydream

Re: India in May

by mt_daydream » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm

mt_daydream wrote:
Scott Patterson wrote:India:

I would recommend looking at Ladakh area in India. You can save some transit time by taking a flight to Leh from
New Delhi. There are several "trekking" peaks in that area, and access is super easy compared to some other
areas like Sikkim or Garhwal. The region is surrounded by mountains all around, and hence sees hardly any
precipitation. Of course, the mountains make their own weather though. My friend and I went there in early May to
attempt Stok Kangri, and again, I would highly recommend going in May - it is still early season, so there are no
crowds (peak season is mid July to late August), but you won't encounter snow until around 5000m. Further, it is
really pleasant with the summer heat not yet reaching its peak. Contact me if you need more info on Ladakh.

PS: I've been thinking about posting pictures and may be a TR from my trip here for a long time. Hopefully, I'll do
it over the X'mas break.

Return to Asia