Ireland Summer 2007

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
bflah91989

Ireland Summer 2007

by bflah91989 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:04 pm

I am going to Ireland around July 29 for a family reunion in Galway. We’re planning several hikes/climbs. Of course, because of the time of year, I am going to climb Croagh Patrick. I also want to climb Carrauntouhill and Errigal, but because of time constraints may only have time to make two climbs (Croagh Patrick and one other). Which other mountain would you suggest?

WoundedKnee

by WoundedKnee » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:03 pm

Ah, I miss Ireland. I'd recommend five options (in no particular order). You really can't go wrong with any of these:

1) Errigal - gorgeous, barren area. Fantastic views to the north and Tory Sound. It's a bit of a haul from where you are.
2) Carrantuohil - highest peak in Ireland, and is in the beautiful Gap of Dunloe area. Also some great, exposed scrambling in the area.
3) Mweelrea - Great climb, and nice views into the Atlantic, as well as many other peaks. A very rugged part of the country
4) The Twelve Bens - Much like Mweelrea
5) Mount Brandon - Stunning views of the earth sloping into the Atlantic, with jagged islands strewn about.

I'd recommend looking at the summitpost pages for these mountains.

bflah91989

by bflah91989 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:34 pm

One of my cousins has a house in Kerry so those options seem more obvious. Thanks for the hints.

WoundedKnee

Re: Ireland Summer 2007

by WoundedKnee » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:31 am

Erik S wrote:
bflah91989 wrote:I am going to Ireland around July 29 for a family reunion in Galway. We’re planning several hikes/climbs. Of course, because of the time of year, I am going to climb Croagh Patrick. I also want to climb Carrauntouhill and Errigal, but because of time constraints may only have time to make two climbs (Croagh Patrick and one other). Which other mountain would you suggest?

Not sure it the word "climbing" is appropriate here.

Anyhow, I visited Ireland summer 2006 and took both hiking gear and surfing gear with me. It turned out I couldn't be bothered to go hiking. There was just nothing really interesting enough. The surf was good though.

Nice elitist attitude.

Actually, there is some excellent climbing in Ireland, such as the Howling Ridge route up Carrantuohil.

bflah91989

by bflah91989 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:17 am

Now that I think of it, I think hiking or trekking is a better word for it.

Return to Europe