Gasherbrum I & II Expedition 2007 -- climbers needed

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
SophiaClimbs

by SophiaClimbs » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:12 pm

radson wrote:good to see you on the forum sophiaclimbs

HEY!!! Good to see you too. Didn't know you hung around with these shady characters.

Yes, I decided I should get out there and try to meet more climbers rather than just persist with the whining about it (as you have had the pleasure of hearing directly :)).

crazyblindchick

Re: me, me, me...pick me (hand in the air), miss miss, me me

by crazyblindchick » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 pm

innuksuk wrote:Oi,
FTA would be a good option for BC support only and I can get y'all a discount on that.

How's that?
:?:

innuksuk

Re: me, me, me...pick me (hand in the air), miss miss, me me

by innuksuk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm

crazyblindchick wrote:How's that?
:?:

Well, when starting out on bigger peaks other than the alps, I went with them and climbed a bunch of peaks in Ecuador. Having chatted with their lead guide, bringing myself (and others) onto another of their expeds will give me a discounted price as I've been with them before.
FTA are solid overall though. And thankfully, my first and most likely my last guided trip (at least for sub-8000m peaks) was one where I was with other climbers, independent in a way.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:24 pm

This has been bugging me for a few days, about a comment a while back in this thread. I can't imagine anyone putting together or going on a trip like this (to Gasherbrums) not being VERY interested in the background of each member. Of course you have to know a lot about each person, though the term "resume" is perhaps a bit formal. Think if you would like to be on a steep icy slope tied to two people who you know nothing about on an unprotected rope. If either one falls you would be toast (been there) so essentially your life is in the hands of people of unknown ability. I would encourge everyone to get over their egos and recognize each others needs to know they are entrusting their lives to only those with the ability help, or at least not hurt. I'm not interested in getting into an argument, just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. By the way, how many people do you have for this trip so far?

rdesota

by rdesota » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi Tauru!

I have to agree with CBakwin that it would seem the most responsible thing to do to know the most you can about potential members to this expedition. Experience, fitness and a great atitude seem to be prerequisites for this kind of expedition.

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:46 am

DudeThatMustHurt wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:I may be interested in this. First, you'll need to qualify yourself as someone hardcore enough for me to climb with. As for me, I'm a member of a well respected mountaineering club and I haven't missed a tuesday at the rock gym in over a month. Furthermore, I once considered climbing Kilimanjaro. But nothing ever came of that.
I'll be expecting you to post some sort of climbing resume (be sure to include any clubs that you belong to). Of course, I'll need to approve of any additional team members (I simply refuse to climb with people who are not hardcore and/or do not belong to any well respected mountaineering/yacht clubs).

I would never find myself on a mountain with someone so self absorbed that he thinks his crap doesn’t stink. If I am setting up an expedition and you have the balls to ask me for a resume, I’d tell you to go F*** yourself. I would never allow myself to be on the other end of a rope with someone so arrogant as such… Expeditions are for TEAMS, not cocky singular jackasses.
$.02

This is too funny and deserves better exposure on P&P :lol:

I'd sign up but I haven't paid the dues and my membership in the Yacht Club ran out.
Tauru, are you going to drive your CM (got to abbreviate in case the FBI is monitoring :wink: ) van to the base camp?

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:44 pm

kaszodis wrote:
DudeThatMustHurt wrote:
Mjollnir wrote:I may be interested in this. First, you'll need to qualify yourself as someone hardcore enough for me to climb with. As for me, I'm a member of a well respected mountaineering club and I haven't missed a tuesday at the rock gym in over a month. Furthermore, I once considered climbing Kilimanjaro. But nothing ever came of that.
I'll be expecting you to post some sort of climbing resume (be sure to include any clubs that you belong to). Of course, I'll need to approve of any additional team members (I simply refuse to climb with people who are not hardcore and/or do not belong to any well respected mountaineering/yacht clubs).

I would never find myself on a mountain with someone so self absorbed that he thinks his crap doesn’t stink. If I am setting up an expedition and you have the balls to ask me for a resume, I’d tell you to go F*** yourself. I would never allow myself to be on the other end of a rope with someone so arrogant as such… Expeditions are for TEAMS, not cocky singular jackasses.
$.02

Well, I climbed Mount Sunflower, Kansas. Does that make me tuff enuff??? :) :) :)

Did you do it without supplemental oxygen? :shock:

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Thu May 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Yes It's still a go. Send the the leader your Yachting experience. You do know how to swim?

radson

by radson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:33 pm

How did the trip go?

SophiaClimbs

by SophiaClimbs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:44 pm

I heard the conditions were epic this year. Very few people got to the summit and a few tragedies and significant rescues.

Corax

by Corax » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:55 pm

I know Bergtagen is there and I think she was in contact with Tauru before departure. I haven't heard any news from her for some time though.

Stupid idea to move this thread to P&P by the way.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 am

Janne,

She's back, I just got an email from her. We saw them regularly at BC and C1. Her cat just died too :(

Had dinner with Bruce in Skardu. They did really well on K2.

Conditions were better on G1 than G2, but the weather was only good in short bursts and at the wrong time for us.

Ditto re: the thread move.

D

PreviousNext

Return to Asia