These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Mike in Czech

Re: These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP

by Mike in Czech » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 am

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that having the note on the picture "creates" the copyright. It's just a good way to clarify immediately that a picture is not in the public domain.

Dave or others, if you need an attorney in the Slovak Republic, let me know. I'm an attorney in the Czech Republic and we work with a very good law firm in the Slovak Republic on a regular basis.

- Mike in Czech

Nelson

by Nelson » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:50 am

I did a quick search and less than 2 minutes came up with <a href="http://eponce.ashundar.co.uk/photos.htm">this site</a>. It has at least one of my photos, improperly labelled, and others I have seen from SP. There is a lot of this going on, no doubt,

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:13 pm

Almost every time that I have found one of my photos being used on a site, a FRIENDLY email to the party involved has resulted in either me being properly credited (which is all I ask) or the removal of the photo.

The only place that I ever had a significant problem was at SP - in the early days. In fact, my stolen photo was how I found the site.

fieldtouring

by fieldtouring » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Fred,
these guys are commercial expedition operators, or at least wannabees, they knew exactly what they were doing in stealing them. If they are prepared to use such tactics to promote their own (as yet untested) commercial expeditions, then I neither beleive it has been done inadvertantly, or that a simple please will have any effect. At any rate last word on this topic, it is not this boards problem.

Corax

by Corax » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:18 pm

on my way to the flight
answer to the elf's question: palic
gotta run!!!
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

William Marler

by William Marler » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:21 pm

Nelson. I found a couple of images of mine on that page. It is a pretty harmless site in this instance. But I did send him a polite email suggesting (asking) he give credit and mention Summitpost.org. I also suggested he contact the others whose images he had used and ask permission. Now and in the future. Cheers William

Martin Cash

by Martin Cash » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Brian,

You photo was hyperlinked, not posted on cc.com. That is a big difference in my opinion. I have linked to my photos several times to show beta. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Stealing someone's Gatherbrum photos to use to get clients for a commerical expedition is another matter. That is uncalled for!

Corax

by Corax » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:11 pm

Things have started to happen. It seems like the guys in Slovakia/Czech are busy updating.

I got a mail from a person telling me the stolen photos are also to be found <a href=//www.hocico.expedition.sk><b>here</B></A>

Same site it looks like, but with a slightly different URL.

I just want to add a couple of things.

I usually don't mind letting other people using my photos <i>if</I> they ask for permission first and/or put a credit next to the photo.
As fieldtouring says; these shots are pretty hard to aquire and some credit, payment or at least a question if they could be used is appropriate.
In this case someone in the same field of interest have picked up photos from persons who share the same hobby without having the slightest respect for copyright issues.
That's bad, plain and simple and I consider the behaviour extra rotten as we should be "brothers in climbing".

One last thing about copyright:
<a href=http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/mountain_link.pl?mountain_id=2320><b>The Pissis page</b></A> has been adopted by me today.
Everything on that page is a cut and paste from <a href=//www.ulyssestrekk.com.ar/paginas/english/pissisENG.htm> <b>Ulises Sila Vitale's page.</B></A>
I have now given him credit and left his work on the Pissis page.

Is this correct or should I remove it all now and leave the page empty until I can update it with my own information?
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

glorfindel

by glorfindel » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 pm

Janne, please contact Ulises Sila Vitale, explaining what has happened and what you are intending to do. I have not had the time to look into his page to see if it is copyrighted but like you most people just like to be asked. Please also tell him to leave a note to me or the SP-elf if he wants the page to be taken offline for the meantime.
Thanks

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:28 pm

Glorfindel,
As somebody has already said on this thread, copyright is automatic (under current <a href="http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/">US law</a> and the law of any signatory to the <a href="http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/index.html">Berne Convention</a>). Almost anything written down or otherwise recorded ("fixed") is protected by copyright laws whether it bears a copyright notice or not.

Some of the exceptions (in the US): laws and other government works, bare facts (as distinct from the words chosen to express them), very short phrases, certain designs of useful articles, and works for which the copyright has expired -- these can be freely copied no matter what notice someone puts on them.

Also, in the US a work must be registered with the <a href="http://www.copyright.gov/">copyright office</a> for certain infringement remedies to be available: 17 usc 412.

The Copyright Office has a helpful <a href="http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/">FAQ</a>.

Say, this would be a good thing to add to the SP FAQ. I'll duplicate this post on that thread.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:33 pm

No need to do so Nartreb - I'm just compiling the new faq and I've seen your post. Thanks.

glorfindel

by glorfindel » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:38 pm

Thanks for the reminder nartreb. I have had these issues myself but each time I asked the owners of the picture or information were only too glad to be quoted on another site. Sometimes they became SP-members afterwards

Tinnik Tinnik

by Tinnik Tinnik » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:35 am

How about making our SP pictures unable to be copied except by the original uploader - this would seem to solve at least half the issue - surely??

I am no tecchie but software on some sites prohibits you making copies, I believe! David

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:57 pm

DN,
some sites try very hard to make it difficult to copy their images. They instruct the browser to disable right-clicking, or they place their images underneath a transparent layer so your browser won't know what you're pointing at when you instruct it to make a copy, they embed their images in an applet so it's not actually available as a JPEG file at all, or they install server-side software that only allows their images to be downloaded when a timestamped code (generated when you view the whole web page) is given. Even in combination, however, none of these techniques is particularly effective. The bottom line is, if it's visible in a browser, there's a way to copy it. IMHO none of these techniques is worth the effort.

rpc

by rpc » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:53 am

Brian,
did he actually save them off of SP and then upload them to cc.com? I looked at his gallery on cc.com and they're not there (might have missed them I guess). So is it just a matter of posting one of 'em fancy shmancy links to your photos on SP in the cc.com discussion board? If it's the latter, it's sort of a smaller "violation" in my mind (that sort of thing is done by folks on SP pretty commonly as well w/o explicit credit); the former is kind of a bigger no-no in my book but I'm not sure which is the case here.

Hey you did get some nice comments on that (kick a..) photo of the Matterhorn!

I guess I'd be p*ssed off if some commercial site was using my shot (no worries there though).

Just my b.s.

PreviousNext

Return to General