Climbing Volcano Parinacota (Bolivia)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Andino

by Andino » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Hi Fabrice,

Thanks for the information.
Are you talking about Sajama village or Parinacota village ?

Fabrice.Rimlinger

Parinacota

by Fabrice.Rimlinger » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Hello,

Sajama village, bolivian side, 5km right of the asphalted road to Arica, before the border.

The one on this picture : http://www.summitpost.org/image/234356/ ... llage.html
After paying the 2$ fee, they will propose you a place to stay (1$)

To get there, take a bus from La Paz central terminal, direction south (Oruro, Cochabamba)
Get off the bus in Patacamaya and get another one direction Sajama (2$ - 3h drive on the best bolivian road).

You will love that place !
More at http://fabriceontheroad.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html

Andino

by Andino » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:32 pm

Regarding buses, are they frequent :

- Between La Paz and Patacamaya ?
- Patacamaya and Sajama ?

Do you think it's feasible to climb Volcano Parinacota in late March (end of rainy season) ?
If snow conditions are bad on Volcano Paranicota, do you think they might be better on Pomerape ?

Fabrice.Rimlinger

Transport

by Fabrice.Rimlinger » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:47 pm

Transport in Bolivia is never a problem... especially if you have some $ :)

Buses from La Paz to Patacamaya : every 20 minutes.
Buses from Patacamaya to Sajama : frequents in the morning but 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

In south america in general, prefer early starts (5 to 6 am) and you will always find a way to reach your destination.

Fabrice.Rimlinger

Parinacota

by Fabrice.Rimlinger » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Muy buenas tardes,

If you hit a long rain season, it might be early.
Anyway, go there and give it a try, you will love the spot anyway and get some info from the guardaparques, they were really heplfull.
Snow condition on both twins are exactly the same.
Beware of crevasses on the flat summit of Pomerape, specially at the beginning of the dry season.

Saludos

Bergrot

by Bergrot » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:19 pm

Bus connection La Paz - Sajama:

There is at least one company in La Paz which runs a daily bus from La Paz to Arica (Chile), ask at the central bus station. They also sell tickets to Sajama for this bus (~10US$). It starts early in the morning (~5am). You have to jump off at the international road and can walk to Sajama village (10km). Sometimes a minibus waits and for some $ it will avoid the sandy walk.

Back:
There is a daily minibus from Sajama to Patacamaya which starts at around 6am. In Patacamaya every half hour a bus brings you back to La Paz. The other version is to go from Sajama to the international road and wait for a bus coming from Arica to La Paz (or another lift). They pass the crossroad around noon and always stop for passengers along the road. Ask the locals in Sajama for more accurate times.

Andino

by Andino » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks for the latest information.

I heard somewhere that thewre can be some robbing in the tent when attempting the Parinacota summit... true ?

Bergrot

by Bergrot » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:14 pm

I wouldn't expect thefts in the Parinacota base camp. When I was in Sajama, I met only friendly and warm hearted people (except drunk and aggressive soldiers from the border police). So the chance that something well be stolen exists, but it is much smaller than everyone thinks it is in South America.

The base camp is also quite abandoned, which additionally diminishes the probability of robberies.

You have to balance the risks on your own, but the gain of climbing Parinacota overcomes the chances of losses. Don't pay to much attention on such reports, but nevertheless pay little attention.

Have a nice summit day :wink:

Andino

by Andino » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info.
The same kind of soldiers (gendarmeria) were at the border on Paso San Francisco, when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Especially drunk, but rather friendly.

Anyway, a few more questions, if you don't mind :

-> is it far between the La Paz / Arica road, to the village of Sajama ?
-> is it easy to find someone with a 4x4 to drive us from Sajama village to base camp at 5350m ?
-> what is the easiest way to go from Sajama village, to Chile (Putre or Parinacota village for example) to visit the Parque Nacional Lauca ?
-> climbing Parinacota in early April isn't the best time, is it ?

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda :wink:

Bergrot

by Bergrot » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:52 pm

Dear Myzantrope,
here are my comments:

-> is it far between the La Paz / Arica road, to the village of Sajama ?

approximately 10km, expect a walking time with backpacks of 3-4 hours, since it is very sandy and the wind can slow you down.

-> is it easy to find someone with a 4x4 to drive us from Sajama village to base camp at 5350m ?

probably yes, 4 years ago there existed a 4x4 trail to around 4800m altitude. From there you have to walk 2-3 hours to the basecamp. In the last four years the motorization should have been increased and some 4x4 should be available for $$ in Sajama. If not, hire a guide with some mules and do the walk in one day. My suggestion is to forgo this support and carry your stuff on your own to the basecamp, climb Parinacota, and return 3-4 days later. It is worth to feel the nature there. Walking over the greens between Alpacas, enter a desert like area, and be surrounded by Sajama, Parinacota and Pomerape. At least for me, it is one of the most beautiful places in the Andes.

-> what is the easiest way to go from Sajama village, to Chile (Putre or Parinacota village for example) to visit the Parque Nacional Lauca ?

via the border post at the international road, again for some $$ someone in Sajama can drive you at least to the border post. If he can enter Chile and bring you to the Lauca Park, I am not that sure.

-> climbing Parinacota in early April isn't the best time, is it ?

sorry, no idea

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:24 pm

Early April is yo-yo weather time. It is still rainy season but it is getting towards the end, it ends there a few weeks earlier than in Cord. Real (the further south the shorter the rainy season, Isluga should be better, e.g.).
So it could be good or bad. May is better, but people climbed it in February too.

Expect snow. What would I do? Go and take skis (:

Andino

by Andino » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:01 am

Has anybody climbed Volcano Parinacota on the Chilean side from the village of Parinacota ?
I think the South side would be therefore indicated... any idea ?

Previous

Return to South America