cel phone service on Aconcagua

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
bande

cel phone service on Aconcagua

by bande » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:48 am

trying to figure out if I need a Sat phone or not

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:35 am

You don't need a sat phone, cell phone or radio for that matter but if you want one a sat phone would be best. The park rangers monitor the 142.8 MHz frequency but radios need a direct line-of-sight to be useful.

You can probably skip the communications all together and just talk to the climbers all around you since the mountain is so busy.

no avatar
bande

by bande » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 am

Brad Marshall wrote:You don't need a sat phone, cell phone or radio for that matter

Not sure you can determine my needs based on my post, but thanks for the info.

So my guess is there is no Cell coverage on the mountain since you suggested a Sat phone.

Erick

bencubbin

by bencubbin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Brad, you must be a real dickhead to answer his question like that. Who do you think you are to determine who needs phone service or not? I bet you are a real treat to climb with.

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Brad, you must be a real dickhead to answer his question like that.

Isnt this the kettle calling the pot black? :roll:

EDIT: Oh, and nice first post....
Last edited by Poor Climber on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:14 pm

Ehehehe, OP asked if he needs a sat phone, brad answers no, and now brad is the asshole. I wonder what happens if someone answers yes.

bencubbin

by bencubbin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Thanks for the compliment on the first post. I used to be a luker here, content to look at all the photos, read trip reports and mainly just enjoy myself. But, Brad's elitist attitude inspired me to register just so I could point out what an ass he must be.

Hope you are proud of youself Brad, I can see how you could accumulate over 700 posts if you enjoy answering innocent questions like you did this one.

Perhaps you should spend more time climbing and taking photos. I must admit that your trip reports and photos are quite enjoyable.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:32 pm

I thought Brad answered the question well. He also gave the answer of whether a sat phone or cell is better.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:02 pm

bencubbin wrote:Thanks for the compliment on the first post. I used to be a luker here, content to look at all the photos, read trip reports and mainly just enjoy myself. But, Brad's elitist attitude inspired me to register just so I could point out what an ass he must be.

My comments were not meant to be elitist but if that is how you perceived them then so be it. You don't have to read them if you don't want and if you want to call me an ass that's OK too. I'm pretty thick skinned. Not everyone will be happy with everything I post and I accept that. If I offended anyone then I would apologize but I don't believe that is the case here.

bencubbin wrote:Hope you are proud of youself Brad, I can see how you could accumulate over 700 posts if you enjoy answering innocent questions like you did this one.

Actually, I am proud of myself. I hope my replies have been relavent and informative. I haven't heard too much that was negative about my posts and certainly not from the members who have requested and received information on climbing Aconcagua or Denali. I have freely mailed and emailed copies of all my detailed information and gear lists to these climbers who would like to ascend these mountains.

I'm also extremely proud of myself for organizing an expedition that allowed eight other climbers to attempt Aconcagua at a cost that was less than they would pay if organizing it themselves saving them thousands of dollars.

bencubbin wrote:Perhaps you should spend more time climbing and taking photos. I must admit that your trip reports and photos are quite enjoyable.

I'm glad you enjoyed my trip reports and photos. I would certainly enjoy climbing more but my job only affords me a limited time off and I don't live near any mountains. Now that you have joined SP we can all look forward to reading your trip reports, seeing your photos and reading your posts and replies.

Brad

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 pm

Yeah!!! What is up with that Selfish and Ego driven straight up answer BRAD?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good answer Brad as I don't understand the reason why one needs to carry any "Cell or Sat" coms on a mountain that is as busy as Aconcagua. If I am not mistaken, any "Guide" on that hill has some form of regular coms and are more than helpful in those regards.

Then again, maybe the original post was meant to establish a form of COMS in order to call home and let Mom know that they are on the Summit or conduct regular business back at home while in the tent???? Can't and never will understand that idea!

bolojm

by bolojm » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm

The Chief wrote:Then again, maybe the original post was meant to establish a form of COMS in order to call home and let Mom know that they are on the Summit or conduct regular business back at home while in the tent???? Can't and never will understand that idea!

I'm with ya' on that one, Chief. What happened to the good ole' days of getting away from it all on the mountain? Aconcagua, Everest, etc have a larger population in prime season than some cities around here...

Ario

by Ario » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:06 pm

:shock: :?: :!: :?: :roll:

no avatar
bande

by bande » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:08 pm

The Chief wrote:Then again, maybe the original post was meant to establish a form of COMS in order to call home and let Mom know that they are on the Summit or conduct regular business back at home while in the tent???? Can't and never will understand that idea!

Bingo.

Some spouses don't enjoy this type of activity and honestly worry a great deal about their spouse on these types of trips. It reassures the spouse at home to get a call once and again to let them know all is fine and no one has suffered any ill fate. This is usually a condition for the kitchen pass to go to these activities.

Erick

bencubbin

by bencubbin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Ahh.......the evils of technology. I think the problem that some people have with cell phones is illustrated by the following photograph that Brad took. (check out the guy in the background)

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/178505.JPG

I used to do some X-country bushwacking with a guy that hated GPS units. I asked him that if he was such a "purist" with respect to navigation, why did'nt he toss the compass and find his way by the sun and stars. He declined my suggestion.

So, you see everybody has a line they will not cross.

Now back to the original question..... Apparently the orginal poster thought that Brad's answer had an air of editorial comment as well. I guess I am not the only one, eh?

Brad Marshall wrote:
You don't need a sat phone, cell phone or radio for that matter

Bande wrote:

no avatar
bande

by bande » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:10 am

bencubbin wrote:Ahh.......the evils of technology. I think the problem that some people have with cell phones is illustrated by the following photograph that Brad took. (check out the guy in the background)

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/178505.JPG

I used to do some X-country bushwacking with a guy that hated GPS units. I asked him that if he was such a "purist" with respect to navigation, why did'nt he toss the compass and find his way by the sun and stars. He declined my suggestion.

So, you see everybody has a line they will not cross.

Now back to the original question..... Apparently the orginal poster thought that Brad's answer had an air of editorial comment as well. I guess I am not the only one, eh?

Brad Marshall wrote:
You don't need a sat phone, cell phone or radio for that matter

Bande wrote:

You're right I found the response rather like I was being told what I needed.

But I generally take the high ground and try not to bait folks like this.

After all Fighting on the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if you win, your still retarded

http://www.blamonet.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Retard_Win.jpg

Erick

Next

Return to South America