My wife and I are planning a trip to Maui in 2008, and hope to work in a side trip to Lanai Island and its highest peak, Lanaihale.
We are not rolling in cash so we need to plan our trip to Lanai with that in mind - no small feat given Lanai's reputation for being very expensive. We would appreciate any helpful information past vistors may have as we plan our logistics.
One plan is to arrive one day, stay in Lanai City, then with a pre-dawn start the next day, walk up the Munro Trail to the top, hoping to beat the afternoon clouds. Or, perhaps rent a compact car and drive it as far as possible (the cemetary?) and hike from there, maybe cutting off a handful of miles.
The other plan is to arrive early one day, rent a 4wd jeep and drive most of the road, getting us back into town and the airport and leave in the evening the same day. Not our preferred plan as we want to hike as much of it as we can, but probably the easiest on the wallet since we do not have to stay an overnight nor rent a vehicle for two days.
Here are some specific questions:
1. The camping options are limited - anyone know of a place to car-camp for the night on Lanai?
2. Any comments on the hotel in Lanai City (not the uber-resorts of Koele and Manele Bay)?
3. Drive time estimates? Can a compact be driven some of the way?
4. Is our idea of doing this in a day, combined with air transport and all that, possible? Or folly?
5. Any idea where I can scrape up an extra grand so that we can stay at Koele?
Thanks in advance... -SAS