Moving to Hilo?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Lippo

Moving to Hilo?

by Lippo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:49 am

I may have the chance to live and work in Hilo. I have lived
all over the East Coast and California. How does Hilo compare.
Thanks for any help.

Lippo

Don Nelsen

by Don Nelsen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:56 am

Lucky you! Hawaii is a great place to live and to explore but is far different in climate and general ambiance than anywhere else in the world. I go to the Hilo area at least once a year.

>>> It rains nearly every night. That is good - keeps everything very green. daytimes are generally sunny and clear in the morning to early afternoon. High humidity. Takes some getting used to but is fine once that is accomplished.

>>> Lots to do: Just a few miles up the hill to great hiking trails, caves, etc. - you could live there for many years and not run out of adventure opportunities.

>>> Warm water! - surfing is pretty good - never colder than 75 or so up to about 78. Diving is OK - better on the Kona side.

>>> The volcano is going to spew some lava right into the town eventually. Just pay very close attention to the lay of the land if you intend to buy some property.

Lots more but that's enough to consider.

Don

Lippo

by Lippo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:12 am

Hey Don,
Thanks for the info. It turns out I did not get the job there. Oh well,I guess I will have to continue "suffering" in Monterey, CA.

Lippo

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands