going to climb ixta and orizaba next week

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
snoopdhani

going to climb ixta and orizaba next week

by snoopdhani » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 pm

quick question....can you leave some of your stuff at the huts so that you dont have to carry it on the summit bid?

Dave S

by Dave S » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:54 pm

You'll probably get several different answers here...we did, although I know some people advise against it. You can drive right up to the hut on Orizaba and so there is some potential for things to get stolen. We left sleeping bags, stoves, etc... at the hut on Orizaba and didn't have any problems.

no avatar
snoopdhani

by snoopdhani » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:57 pm

thanks

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 pm

Will your stuff be there when you get back? Probably. I just wouldn't take any chances with items such as your money, passport, car keys, etc. but you know that already. If you are going at a popular time you might be able to get someone to watch your things when you're away.

Woodie

dswink

by dswink » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:14 am

If you stay at a hotel in Amecameca before going to Izta, consider leaving your stuff at the hotel. We stayed at the San Carlos hotel in the town square, and they stored our gear in a room near the front desk for us.

rcntly4298

Re: going to climb ixta and orizaba next week

by rcntly4298 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:17 pm

snoopdhani wrote:quick question....can you leave some of your stuff at the huts so that you dont have to carry it on the summit bid?

I would never leave anything unattended on Izta. Locals drive up to La Joya all the time in their normal cars. The road is very easy to drive up on. My buddy got everything stolen at La Joya a few years ago. He got everything stolen except for his clothes on his back and his passport. He had to go home the next day. It was pretty terrible.

I have left things at Piedra Grande on Orizaba many times. There is a lot less traffic because you need a pretty rugged SUV to be able to get up to the hut. There is a guy every year that I have gone that you can pay $5 a day to watch your stuff at the hut. He is a really nice guy and I have never had a problem with anything gone missing. I believe he is a freind of the Concholas.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean