Technical Skills for Orizaba

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
amcke004

Technical Skills for Orizaba

by amcke004 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:20 pm

Aside from having a basic knowledge of crampon use, self arrest and roping up to one another, what kind of technical skills are necessary for a climb to orizaba. Also in your opinions is the use of rope even necessary?

rickford

by rickford » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:54 pm

There is no technical knowledge required fot the Jamapa Glacier route (unless the glacier has degenerated into bullet-proof ice). Under normal conditions, I would leave the rope at home... If the glacier becomes overly wrought with hard blue ice (which happens), then I would just spend the time hiking or perhaps travelling around the Mexican country-side. :D

Mexico is a very beautiful country! Have a great time!! :D

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Haliku

by Haliku » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:20 am

rickford wrote:There is no technical knowledge required fot the Jamapa Glacier route (unless the glacier has degenerated into bullet-proof ice). Under normal conditions, I would leave the rope at home... If the glacier becomes overly wrought with hard blue ice (which happens), then I would just spend the time hiking or perhaps travelling around the Mexican country-side. :D

Mexico is a very beautiful country! Have a great time!! :D

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Rickford is right on the money. Its a great mountain to attempt after 14ers in the lower 48. If its bullet ice call it quits. Plenty of good beta in trip reports and the mountain/route pages are current (I tend them). Cheers!

amcke004

by amcke004 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:26 am

thanks for the help everyone!!

eferesen

by eferesen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 pm

As of last week the snow conditions were perfect. Just an ice axe and crampons will do.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean