Alps Huts for Ski Touring Open in Early March?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
steeleman

Alps Huts for Ski Touring Open in Early March?

by steeleman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:13 am

From some web surfing, it looks like the ski huts in the alps generally open in mid-march. Some are open earlier, but are not minded and offer only a winter room. I'm hoping to do some ski touring to link up some huts or use one or two huts as a base for skiing -- somewhere in the alps, I'm not too picky. Problem is, I can only go the first week or two of March. Does anyone have any tips for this timeframe?

Thanks!

Nikman

Re: Alps Huts for Ski Touring Open in Early March?

by Nikman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:26 am

steeleman wrote:From some web surfing, it looks like the ski huts in the alps generally open in mid-march. Some are open earlier, but are not minded and offer only a winter room. I'm hoping to do some ski touring to link up some huts or use one or two huts as a base for skiing -- somewhere in the alps, I'm not too picky. Problem is, I can only go the first week or two of March. Does anyone have any tips for this timeframe?
Thanks!

There are no "general" opening times for Alpine huts. It's all individual and every hut keeper will decide by himself regarding expected "traffic" in a certain area.
If closed, almost any hut will offer a winter room so you'll just have to bring some food. In most cases the winter room is "open" so no key is needed, but there are some huts in "busy" areas that are locked and a key has to be obtained in the valley or from the Alpine society.

If you want a tip for the first week or two of March I would give the advice to to some touring in the Silvretta area (border mountains between Austria and Swiss). In this time of the year the huts will be open there. The area is totaly free from gondolas in the center so you will find many nice rides and all kind of possibilities for mountaineering. Also snow conditions should be fine in March.
Wiesbadener Hütte is easy to reach from Bieler Höhe and can be a good base. It's a well run place with excellent food, but not a remote place. Silvretta mountains offer to switch over to many other huts from day to day. You can easily combine a circle or draw an eight for over a week and won't be bored.
For example: 6 days traverse east to west:
Ischgl/Skiarea – Heidelbergerhütte – Breite Krone – Jamtalhütte – Ob.Ochsenscharte/Dreiländerspitze – Wiesbadnerhütte – Piz Buin – Silvrettahütte – Schneeglocke – Saarbrückerhütte – Bielerhöhe

Check out those links:
http://www.wiesbadener-huette.com/
http://www.silvrettahuette.ch/
http://www.jamtalhuette.at/
http://www.saarbrueckerhuette.at/

Touring options are described within the linked pages (in German).

steeleman

by steeleman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 pm

vielen dank!

I haven't looked at the Silvertta area, but have looked at touring over in the Oetztal alps. But wasn't sure if those huts were open either. Looks good too for earlier touring, nicht wahr?

Nikman

by Nikman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:51 pm

steeleman wrote:vielen dank!

I haven't looked at the Silvertta area, but have looked at touring over in the Oetztal alps. But wasn't sure if those huts were open either. Looks good too for earlier touring, nicht wahr?

Oetztal-Alps are fine for a tour here and there, but I wouldn't recommend it if someone wants to spend more than a week time. A popular thing in Oetztal-Alps is the circle of Vent, but if I was you I'd prefer the Silvretta which is more remote from comercial ski resorts.

Return to Europe