Trekking in Nepal

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
AndrewSmyth

by AndrewSmyth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:38 pm

There are dozens of organisations to choose from.

I am an Australian, so I have a preference for the Australian companies. One very good one is World Expeditions www.worldexpeditions.com.au. They have offices throughout the world and have been going for 2-3 decades.

They have some very reputable people working for them, one of many being Peter Hillary!

They have litteraly dozens of treks and mountaineering expeditions (up to circa 7500m) throughout the year, especially in the Himalaya.

They charge slightly more than others, but you get great service and are very well looked after. To compare, I am doing Mera and Island Peak in october with them and its costing £2000. You can get the same trip for anywhere between £1500 and £2500, depending on where you look.

They also have a very good policy that supports the local area. they dont stay in huts - its all tents, they dont burn wood (deforresting and all) and they take all food in with them to ensure hygene is maintained and quality is assured.

Take a look at them and let me know what you think.

radson

by radson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:32 am

I personally think it is much better to go through a Nepali operator. Why pay for a western middleperson. I also think staying in Huts is much better than tents. The Huts are much more social and far more enjoyable than staying in tents.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:10 am

I personally think it is much better to go through a Nepali operator. Why pay for a western middleperson. I also think staying in Huts is much better than tents. The Huts are much more social and far more enjoyable than staying in tents.

I agree 100%.

no avatar
staryrocks

by staryrocks » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:21 am

I am researching Nepal for a trek in April as well. I would recommend getting the Lonely Planet book. And if you read the other Nepal postings from a ways back, you'll find most people talk about Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp. I know several people who have trekked there and you dont have to do an organized trek along with a bunch of people on a set schedule as trail is clearly marked, the numerous villages provide affordable lodging, food, and supplies if need be. Therefore you can pack quite light and do the whole trek yourself or hire your own porter to carry your load and provide local tips when need be.

dmiki

by dmiki » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 am

staryrocks wrote:most people talk about Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp.

Or the Langtang/Gosainkund/Helambu area.

toaster

by toaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:53 am

I did both the Annapurna base camp as well as 25 days in the Everest region. Went on my own but I did meet alot of people during my stay(volunteering, and climbing of course!) For the trek part, I would say I enjoyed the Everest region more but then I was in the Annapurna in September so it was cloudy/view not so great :(

I have been back for 1.5 years now and I am still in contact (weekly) with one guide (friend of mine)

Here is his very simple webpage :
http://www.narba.8m.com/

He is on Msn Messenger quite often so it is easy to talk to him.

Just letting you know!

eza

Why not go on your own?

by eza » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:34 am

We went to Nepal and trekked the Annapurna Circuit some years ago. I found it absolutely enjoyable, and we went fully on our own. We just hired a couple of local youngsters as porters and basic guides to the area. Every night we slept in local hostels. And as someone has said before me, the Lonely Planet "Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya" is a reliable guidebook. We also used it. :D

toaster

Re: Why not go on your own?

by toaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm

eza wrote:We went to Nepal and trekked the Annapurna Circuit some years ago. I found it absolutely enjoyable, and we went fully on our own. We just hired a couple of local youngsters as porters and basic guides to the area. Every night we slept in local hostels. And as someone has said before me, the Lonely Planet "Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya" is a reliable guidebook. We also used it. :D

I do believe going by yourself is the best way, go at your own pace etc. Some people will feel more secure with a guide, but it's hard to get lost on the trails so I would say if you can go alone then you should!

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:06 pm

I did the Annapurna Circuit back in 1992 and I and a traveling Israeli I met in Bangkok did it independently, which is what I'd recommend. The only time we weren't 100% sure about where we were going was not on the trail but when taking transport to the start of the trail and then hitching a ride with a truck driver on the return leg to Pohkara.

One drawback about traveling with a guided trip is that there may be other people you'll be traveling with the whole time that you may not get along with. Guided groups also have a way of "taking over" a hut or an inn and I think you receive more limited contact with the locals as a result.

Both the Lonely Planet and the one published by I think it's Sierra Club books (the author at the time was Steven Burushka or something like that) are both excellent. I actually think the Sierra Club publication was a better book and the one I used.

dmiki

by dmiki » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:22 pm

On the other hand, hiring a guide/porter is cheap and you could contribute to the local economy / ~a way of saying thanks for the spectacular scenery.

tom sewell

projecthimalaya

by tom sewell » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm

check out jamie mcguiness' outfit in thamel or online. he runs some cool exploratory trips that are "challenging". i did "around manaslu" with him years ago and it was fun!

no avatar
mrburns

by mrburns » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:53 pm

For those of you who have gone to the Annapurna Circuit or other treks already mentioned, without an organized group, how much money do you think you were able to save? This is a trip that I have always wanted to take and if it can be done cheaper than the $3000-$4000+ I see quoted on the internet, then it might be in the budget.

dmiki

by dmiki » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:03 pm

mrburns wrote:how much money

Once in Nepal, you can get by on ~$10 a day including meals, accomodation in tea houses, local travel by bus, national park permits, gifts, and accomodation, meals, sights in Kathmandu. Nothing fancy. Porters not included. Probably ~$20 including a porter and a more varied diet / more comfortable means of travel (jeep / tourist bus). (2005 figures)

Return to Asia