Aconcagua Guide Services

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Wagssr

Aconcagua Guide Services

by Wagssr » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:11 pm

I am looking to climb Aconcagua in December or 08. I am looking for a good guide service and INKA looks good online, but does anyone have any experience with them. Any other services that you can recommend? We're from Boston.

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:45 pm

INKA has some of the best infrastructure on the mountain from what I saw on the Polish side (plaza Argentina) and on the normal side. I think they are a reasonable alternative to Alpine Ascents, Patagonicas, etc.

Woodie

no avatar
bande

by bande » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:08 pm

We signed up with an agency and they sub'd the trip to Aymara. So make sure you ask if you sign up with someone that is not one of the big four.

I could go either way on my recommendation about Aymara. I would not use them again but others might find them OK.

We are planning a trip again in Dec 08 a private climb for 3

Norris

I highly recommend INKA

by Norris » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 am

Just got back from Argentina yesterday. I summitted Aconcagua with an INKA guide. I don't think you can go wrong with INKA.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:44 am

I've had experience with INKA Expeditions for logistics only and they were very professional and easy to deal with. Their guides are very nice but INKA's climbing schedule can be a bit on the rushed side which may cause some clients to acclimatize poorly.

I've also had very good experiences dealing with Eduardo Soler at Xperience Aconcagua who guides on the Normal Route.

Norris

by Norris » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Inka's prices are less than the US-based guiding services. I found I could book a private trip for about what it would have cost me to join a group of strangers guided by a US-based outfit. With a private trip, you and your guide can set your own itinerary.

no avatar
dreamy

by dreamy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Try also Ibarrak or http://www.refugioplazademulas.com.ar/index.htm (speak to Eduardo or his wife Mo). They might be a little more expensive than the rest, but they are the best tailoring expeditions, are the first to get into Aco., the last lo leave every season, and probably the most experienced service provider in the mountain. They are a little “posh” and not very well known in the USA (they cater mostly Europeans), though they have been in the mountain for more than 20 years (I understand they have the highest summit record). Last Nov. I went solo to Aco. (only used their mules) and the first three guided expeds. (and the first to summit) were theirs.
INKA is ok, not as massive as Aymara, but not as personal as Ibarrak. Grajales, they say is not anymore what it used to be. There are many other, but I don’t know them.

no avatar
bande

by bande » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:57 pm

While were on the subject anyone dealt with this outfit before

http://www.andescross.com/

TheDeadpoint

by TheDeadpoint » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:28 pm

I was very impressed with grajales. (http://www.grajales.net/)

They are the kings of aconcagua as far as i can tell. Even the other guide services often use grajales for mules and logistics.

I used them about five years agao, and have nothing but the highest recomendation!

Outside

by Outside » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:46 pm

I am booked in Jan. '09 (there are openings still available for up to 4 more on this trip) with Northwest Mountain School. Check them out at www.mountainschool.com. John Race and Olivia Cussen are both AMGA and IFMGA certified (Olivia is one of only a handful of women climbers with both certifications) I've climbed with them on Denali and Rainier and have high praise for them. Great resume's, organized, professional, safe, and just a lot of fun to climb with. The climbed and skied all over the world and it shows. If you can reconsider your dates this will be a great trip. We'll meet in Mendoza on Jan. 24th. The trip is listed under Latin American Expeditions on the site and is priced based on the total # of climbers on the trip. Max. is 6. (small groups are agile)

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:49 am

I HIGHLY recommend a guy who guides for El Chalten Mountain Guides. His name is Manuel Quiroga and is only one of three who is UIAA ceritified. He guided us this year on Cerro De La Media Luna (6c, 12 pitches) and Aguja Guillaumet (6a AI3). Very easy going, speaks excellent English (yes, he's Argentine), and super efficient. Contact him at the following email:

info@ecmg.com.ar

Return to South America