recommendations for s/se asian rock routes?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
fossana

recommendations for s/se asian rock routes?

by fossana » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm in the middle of planning a 4 month trip to S/SE Asia starting in early Nov and I'm looking for recommendations on rock routes, preferably the scrambling type (class 3 to mid 5). Part of the trip is on motorcycles, so I don't want to lug around a bunch of ropes, ice axes, crampons, etc. and I'm not really into trekking. Planning to bring climbing shoes & probably my harness. We'll probably do the sport thing in Thailand. Have a list of the info on SP already (e.g. Kinabalu, Krabi sport). Any other suggestions for interesting non-climbing places to visit would be welcomed. Thanks

On the list so far:

- N India (riding from Kolkata to the Sikkim)
- Laos
- Myanmar
- Cambodia
- Thailand
- Malaysia?
- Vietnam?

BobaFett

by BobaFett » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 am

Have you seen the Vang Vieng page?
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/15 ... -area.html Not much info but just go there and you will find your way. Nice area. In Malaysia we also climbed some on Tioman Island. Very hard access in some places but good climbs. Some areas are restricted. Ask in the resorts where you can climb.

fossana

by fossana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:44 am

BobaFett wrote:Have you seen the Vang Vieng page?
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/15 ... -area.html Not much info but just go there and you will find your way. Nice area. In Malaysia we also climbed some on Tioman Island. Very hard access in some places but good climbs. Some areas are restricted. Ask in the resorts where you can climb.

Vang Vieng area is also covered in the Mountaineers' Thailand climbing guide. I haven't heard about Tioman, however. Thanks!

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:51 pm

In southern Thailand we climbed all over Railay and Tonsai Beach. It was an awesome time, just got back. It was hot but not too bad, plus shade is easy to find. Humanality (6B+) is a 6 pitch route on Tonsai Beach that was awesome! Groove Tube is very dreamy too. You could spend a long time there. I heard great things about Vietnam as well. Let me know if you want any particulars about Thailand.

Return to Asia