Cordillera Blanca?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
emiller1

Cordillera Blanca?

by emiller1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:37 pm

How much time would be needed for succesful 6000m peak trip and what sort of cost would be associated with one. This isn't anything that i will be doing anytime soon but is more of a long term goal that i am trying to research and come up with a approximate cost. I have lots of experience to gain first here in the states but want to be able to do something like this before i am 45, only 30 now. This would be a guided trip. thanks for all the help and recomendations.

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:03 pm

if it is just for the sake of bagging a 6000m peak - Huayna Potosi in Bolivia and the vulcanos in Southern Peru (Coropuna/Ampato etc) would be way easier

emiller1

by emiller1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I was thinking of buying this book Brad Johnson: Classic Climbs of the Cordillera Blanca can anyone out there recomend it?

sharperblue

you bet!

by sharperblue » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:17 pm

that's a terrific book: a great intro to the CB, including (very) basic topos, gear requirements by peak and approach info. rather purdy, too..

Haliku

Re: Cordillera Blanca?

by Haliku » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 pm

emiller1 wrote:How much time would be needed for succesful 6000m peak trip and what sort of cost would be associated with one. This isn't anything that i will be doing anytime soon but is more of a long term goal that i am trying to research and come up with a approximate cost. I have lots of experience to gain first here in the states but want to be able to do something like this before i am 45, only 30 now. This would be a guided trip. thanks for all the help and recomendations.

Easy enough formula (assuming limited skills today). Learn mountaineering and attempt Rainier. Go to Bolivia or Peru for a 6000m attempt by joining a group from SP or paying a local guide service. Ex Bolivia - $1500-2500 and 12 days can give you a shot on Huayna Potosi--more $$ with a US guide company. So next summer you could have a 6000m attempt if you can get some basics in this year. Don't really need to wait 15 years.

More realistic is get glacier and altitude experience in WA, CA, CO etc for a few years. Establish some climbing partner relationships. Go to Mexico for the next level of altitude. Then consider Ecuador to experience a 6000k attempt or Peru/Bolivia as mentioned.

Cheers!

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:24 pm

if you book locally in La Paz you get the Huayna Potosi for 100-120 US $ - the Parinacota at the Chilean border (no technical difficulties at all) - costs you around 100 US$ if you book in Sajama village or Lagunas + jeep transport and gear rental (haggle hard) on top of it

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:58 pm

John Biggars' Andes guidebook is a good book for an overview if you haven't settled on one country.

Woodie

Return to South America