Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Personal attacks

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
 

Postby drjohnso1182 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:50 pm

squishy wrote:I recently read a story were a mother was bulling a friend of her daughter on myspace, pretending to be a boy and then turning on her with personal attacks. The girl committed suicide shortly after because of it...

I'm not denying that, although there's more to that story than the myspace aspect of it. I'm saying there's no way anybody would seriously associate that incident with what happens in PnP.
User Avatar
drjohnso1182

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 am
Location: Illinois
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Postby drjohnso1182 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 pm

squishy wrote:In a little no name forum somewhere I was personally threatened then my home address posted. I guess if you haven't seen it 1st hand, you wouldn't understand...

I haven't seen it. Has this happened on this site? It would certainly violate the SP terms of service and possibly violate the law. Hopefully law enforcement was able to help in your case.
User Avatar
drjohnso1182

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 am
Location: Illinois
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Postby Bob Sihler » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Dave K wrote:The fact is that a lot of people enjoy P and P dark, more than P and P light as a matter of fact and more than any other forum.


You mean to tell me folks don't enjoy all the stimulating discussions in the general forum about what a mountain is, what counts as a climb, what energy drink is best, and what sunglasses to buy?

And maybe my favorite: Has REI gone soft?
User Avatar
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Thanked: 1683 times in 962 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Dave K wrote:The fact is that a lot of people enjoy P and P dark, more than P and P light as a matter of fact and more than any other forum.


You mean to tell me folks don't enjoy all the stimulating discussions in the general forum about what a mountain is, what counts as a climb, what energy drink is best, and what sunglasses to buy?

And maybe my favorite: Has REI gone soft?


Personally, I found the poop discussion rather rebolting.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 730 times in 470 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 am

goldenhopper wrote:I'm wondering if P&P could have anything to do with global warming and the advent of reality TV?... Beat you to it MoapaPk!!!

I'm feeling the wind of Bob Burd's hammer coming down. :o


I definitely think the P&P problems are exacerbated by reality TV, but I also believe P&P is causing global warming, because of the vast methane emissions.

Nowhere are the effects more harshly felt, than in my own beloved Djibouti.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 730 times in 470 posts

Postby The Chief » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:52 am

This thread needs to get canned to...............PNP! :lol:

Everythig that Dave K posted!

EDIT: Changed my mind.
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Postby brendon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:46 am

SPtroll wrote:I was deleted from the site because everyone thought I was too harsh on him when I said I thought his question was stupid.


You dissed Moni. Nobody messes with Moni. :twisted:
User Avatar
brendon

 
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:13 pm
Location: Eastern, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 am

Dow Williams wrote:There are spineless cowards in the real world and PnP is nothing more than a reflection of that realistic percentage. If you try to moderate PnP than these, no doubt obese, hackers who spend 24/7 in front of their computer will find mischief in the main body of the site. It is best to give them their little own fiefdom, where they get a sense of false fulfillment, thus keeping the majority of the site related to real SP fundamentals, hiking, climbing whatever it might be, somewhat void of trash. I wish you could all see the beauty in this design and laugh at the dopes wasting their day away in the basement.


Man, PERFECTLY said. :!:
User Avatar
Kiefer

 
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Black Forest, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 111 times in 62 posts

Personal Attacks

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 am

These unhappy people crave attention and publicity. If we cant monitor them on P and P, the next best thing is to ignore them so they get bored.
User Avatar
Cy Kaicener

 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 pm
Location: Rialto, California, United States
Thanked: 205 times in 187 posts

Postby Andinistaloco » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:15 pm

SPtroll wrote:Many times the beta from here turns out to be shit anyway and the site is full of assholes posting pictures of flowers and hero shots of themselves on top of some peak no one has ever heard of that fulfills their lifelong dream of hiking every high point in their county, state, region, country blah blah blah. The rest of you are all too busy standing in line to see who gets to jerk THE CHIEF off next.




SPtroll wrote:
Piss and moan, whine and cry. Why don't you just shut the fuck up and go climbing?



:lol: :lol: :lol:
User Avatar
Andinistaloco

 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:32 am
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States
Thanked: 68 times in 42 posts

Postby BeDrinkable » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:22 pm

squishy wrote:
Lolli wrote:This thread could be described like this:

Statement:
"I think there a few members who deliberately only do insult others, not in the heat of debate, but for the joy of it. They ought to be banned, it would be better for the site, and many has asked for it to happen."

Answer:
"It would be worse for the site if P&Pdark was removed. P&P is needed as a vent-place and popular, it will stay. Don't go to P&P if you don't like it (=being insulted). Etc. "



That's a good way of putting it, the complaint has nothing to do with P&P dark, unfortunately I'm just receiving canned answers that have been posted time and time again. Same old thing, I guess people don't understand the difference or don't understand what they read...I tried..

I disagree. It is a response. The question is whether PnP dark should be subject to the same rules as the rest of this site. And as you yourself noted, this is a colaborative site, where the users have some say, and the users, for the most part, agree that PnP dark should exist, as is. The fact that some were uncomfortable there was addressed with the creation of PnP light. Staying away if you are uncomfortable seems to me a reasonable response. It is, after all, what I do.
User Avatar
BeDrinkable

 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:23 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby rhyang » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:50 pm

squishy wrote:
Lolli wrote:This thread could be described like this:

Statement:
"I think there a few members who deliberately only do insult others, not in the heat of debate, but for the joy of it. They ought to be banned, it would be better for the site, and many has asked for it to happen."

Answer:
"It would be worse for the site if P&Pdark was removed. P&P is needed as a vent-place and popular, it will stay. Don't go to P&P if you don't like it (=being insulted). Etc. "



That's a good way of putting it, the complaint has nothing to do with P&P dark, unfortunately I'm just receiving canned answers that have been posted time and time again. Same old thing, I guess people don't understand the difference or don't understand what they read...I tried..


I think it's more a question of priorities. For most of us, SP is about climbing, mountaineering, hiking, .. getting outdoors. Hanging out in p & p and talking politics is simply of no importance to the site.

The elves' time is a limited resource - they have families, jobs, and climbing trips of their own. Why should they spend their unpaid hours here playing babysitter because some idiots can't manage their own time wisely ?

If someone is upset with SP because they don't like p & p, then I would ask if perhaps said individual's time is better spent doing something more productive, like posting mountain / route pages or (shudder) actually climbing.

Before the web, we had usenet groups, and before that were .. well, I forget .. it was more than 20 years ago for me :) If someone posts something on the internet that you don't like, you can just ignore them. It's that simple. Complain all you want, but then again some people just enjoy complaining for its own sake 8)
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 58 times in 37 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:14 pm

rhyang wrote:Before the web, we had usenet groups, and before that were .. well, I forget .. it was more than 20 years ago for me :) If someone posts something on the internet that you don't like, you can just ignore them. It's that simple.


That's a good thing to remember. USENET was nasty.

Complain all you want, but then again some people just enjoy complaining for its own sake 8)


I've never gotten any sake for complaining, but that sounds like a good idea! I bet a lot of people would get more mellow after a few swigs.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 730 times in 470 posts

Postby rhyang » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:29 pm

squishy wrote:I will not stop until your online name is dirt


Oooh, scary stuff :lol: I'll say it again .. if you really care about this crap, then it is you who has a problem.

You're a relative newcomer to the site, and you haven't seen all the flame wars and discussions that have occurred in the past about this nonsense.

IMO Here's what your posts on this subject amount to : "My feelings are hurt. What are YOU going to do about it ?"

Well, here's a hug -- you know we still love you :)
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 58 times in 37 posts

Postby drjohnso1182 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:37 pm

rhyang wrote:
squishy wrote:I will not stop until your online name is dirt


Oooh, scary stuff :lol: I'll say it again .. if you really care about this crap, then it is you who has a problem.

You're a relative newcomer to the site, and you haven't seen all the flame wars and discussions that have occurred in the past about this nonsense.

IMO Here's what your posts on this subject amount to : "My feelings are hurt. What are YOU going to do about it ?"

Well, here's a hug -- you know we still love you :)

I still think he's trolling.
User Avatar
drjohnso1182

 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 am
Location: Illinois
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.