What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:50 am

I've only biked at Starved Rock -- it's just off the I&M Canal trail, which is a great resource though it sees a lot of traffic from Chicago. Are there some good class 3 scrambles for the whole family?

As for new Midwest items on SP, I've recently added the topographically insignificant Spirit Mound, SD, which is nonetheless a pleasant bit of native prairie with great views. You flatlanders know what I'm saying.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 am

dwhike wrote:Added a fall album to the Starved Rock State Park page. Who'd a thought Illinois had a place this cool? If any of you Chicago-ites havn't been yet...GO!! I know I'll be back, maybe in the spring when the falls are running higher.

Thanks for linking. I've been thinking about putting a History section on the Starved Rock page; would you mind if I used a couple of your pictures?

Arthur Digbee wrote:I've only biked at Starved Rock -- it's just off the I&M Canal trail, which is a great resource though it sees a lot of traffic from Chicago. Are there some good class 3 scrambles for the whole family?

At Starved Rock, you're supposed to stay on the trails. Those rules are more relaxed at Matthiessen State Park next door. However, the sandstone is often brittle, wet, and steep at both parks.

MarkDidier

Sawtooth Range (MN) - North Shore of Lake Superior

by MarkDidier » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:52 pm

I just submitted an album for The North Shore of Lake Superior -[http://www.summitpost.org/album/456945/north-shore-of-lake-superior.html]. I have attached it to the Area/Range page for the Sawtooth Range (MN).

I submitted this as a private album using the following reasoning: These are 25 year old scanned photos. I would hope that a SP member has newer/crisper similar photos that could be used to start a fresh album. If you would like to see this as public attach, let me know.

The Sawtooth Range is a beautiful area that I know I need to get back to - and I was hoping that some extra photos will help build some enthusiasm for building up this Area/Range on SP.
Last edited by MarkDidier on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwhike

by dwhike » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:38 am

drjohnso1182 wrote:Thanks for linking. I've been thinking about putting a History section on the Starved Rock page; would you mind if I used a couple of your pictures?

No prob, I was thinking of linking a few but was not sure if you wanted to keep with the "ice climbing" emphasis of the page. Please feel free.

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:36 pm

I made it to the north shore the weekend before last.
It was great. I was planning on the SHT from Tettegouche, but Tettegouche was mostly closed because of a special deer hunt. I got one of the backpack sites at Cascade River SP, brought a friend that hadn't really camped before. She had a blast. The cascading water falls are pretty amazing.
I'm thinking of going back up for the weekend, hiking Eagle Mountain and Carlton Peak.
If I make it, I'll try to get some good photos of Carlton for building a page, as well as others.
I'll post some from the previous trip when I get a chance.

Also, was discussing a SHT thru-hike with a friend next spring. Sounds awesome.
I got a set of maps, but any other info/resources would be nice, if you know of them...

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:28 am

aedwards wrote:I got a set of maps, but any other info/resources would be nice, if you know of them...

The Superior Hiking Trail Association has a decent website, and publishes a book that guides the whole trail. It has me salivating . . . .

Hope you'll give us some TRs!

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:26 pm

Added a Government Peak page. Someone needs to create a page for Turkey Run State Park. Not a mountain, but a great park with some beautiful trails and easy access to Shades Stat Park which also has great hiking (Devil's Backbone). I'd do it but I'm in college and have no access to pics from countless family trips there.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm going through my stuff from last summer's porkies backpack. The Escarpment now has a page. Before anyone gets mad, I checked and there are actually three named peaks on the Escarpment: Cuyahoga, Cloud, and Miscowawbic. Please take a look and fix any errors or add your best pictures.

samh

by samh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:34 pm

aedwards wrote:...I'm thinking of going back up for the weekend, hiking Eagle Mountain and Carlton Peak. If I make it, I'll try to get some good photos of Carlton for building a page, as well as others.

Do it! I was half contemplating building a Carlton Peak page last week but I honestly would rather see it built by someone who lives closer than I. I may have hiked it a half dozen times but I don't have the volume of photos necessary to build a page. In terms of Eagle Mountain, I don't believe it qualifies as being part of the Sawtooth Range. It deserves a page on Summit Post but it shouldn't be connected to that Range (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please).

And, speaking of the Sawtooth Range, I completely re-formatted the page and it is very stylish now if you don't mind my saying so. If you haven't checked it out, please do so and leave me some comments or additions that you'd like to see. Also, consider building out peak pages to add to it. There is a wealth of info out there on these peaks and they are all very accessible or climbing.

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/43 ... e-mn-.html

aedwards wrote:Also, was discussing a SHT thru-hike with a friend next spring. Sounds awesome. I got a set of maps, but any other info/resources would be nice, if you know of them...

I have a good amount of information from my thru-hike on my Web site (http://samh.net/backpacking/). Also, I would highly recommend joining the SHTA Yahoo! Group Mailing List. There is daily activity and you will typically get responses to questions in under 24 hours. Join up at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiker/

Haliku

by Haliku » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Ok so its only newly updated after my recent adoption: Harney Peak

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 pm

I'll put up a Moraine Hills State Park page if people think it merits the attention. Input?

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:59 pm

woodsxc wrote:I'll put up a Moraine Hills State Park page if people think it merits the attention. Input?

I think it's good to get Midwestern stuff up because there's a lot of things that could be within weekend range but we don't necessarily know about them if they're in another state.

That was my idea behind this:
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/50 ... rness.html

It ain't much, but it's what we got: Indiana's only wilderness.

dwhike

by dwhike » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 am

First page in a while...Maquoketa Caves...who knew Iowa could be so COOL!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Here's the first page I have created on SP: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... uttes.html
It is for the Whetstone Buttes in Adams County, North Dakota.

Suggestions for the page are welcome.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 pm

How's everyone been?

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)