Cordon del Plata maps and information

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
DavidGalvin

Cordon del Plata maps and information

by DavidGalvin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:53 am

I have found some information on this sub-range of the Argentinian Andes--most of it from this site. While that information is good, it is somewhat limited. Most especially, I have not been able to locate a proper topographic map of the area. I understand that a book and map have been published locally in Mendoza, but I would like to have them prior to departure, if I could. The Argentinian guide service that publishes them, Merides, has not responded to my inquires. If anyone knows of a USA source for either the book, entitled in English, _Mountains of Light: Cord of the Silver_ [sic] , or a map, please let me know. I would purchased either in new or used condition. Thanks!

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:09 am

I have the book and it is not nearly as good, nor as useful, as the information on this site. Corax, Pedro and Brice have done an excellent job. The book has a large section on Aconcagua, lots of irrelevant minor information not about the actual mountains, and is very badly translated from Spanish. Limited is relative.

D

FabienenCordoba

by FabienenCordoba » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 am

Hi!

The information on summitpost is great. You can also find quite a lot of routes described in camptocamp (check out routes starting in Vallecitos ski resort at the bottom of this page). Unfortunatly, most of them are in Spanish.

The guide book you are thinking of is "Montanas de la Luz". The Spanish edition is essentially out of print and the English edition is crap (but more widely available, it has nice pictures).

It is easier to find the map made by Aoneker GIS Solutions and sold/sponsorized by Meridies Expeditions. The map is 1:50 000 and although it does not show details of rock outcrops, cliffs etc. it does give a good idea of slopes and the main trails (see the post by Corax below).

Good luck!

Fabien
Last edited by FabienenCordoba on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corax

Re: Cordon del Plata maps and information

by Corax » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:28 am

DavidGalvin wrote:I have found some information on this sub-range of the Argentinian Andes--most of it from this site. While that information is good, it is somewhat limited. Most especially, I have not been able to locate a proper topographic map of the area. I understand that a book and map have been published locally in Mendoza, but I would like to have them prior to departure, if I could. The Argentinian guide service that publishes them, Merides, has not responded to my inquires. If anyone knows of a USA source for either the book, entitled in English, _Mountains of Light: Cord of the Silver_ [sic] , or a map, please let me know. I would purchased either in new or used condition. Thanks!

Contact http://www.meridies.com.ar/ for a good detailed map, or pick it up in Mendoza. El Refugio and Casa Orviz both has it for sure. The main valley in Cordon del Plata is an open, straight forward place. You can also get a lot of info from the ski resort caretakers upon arrival.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Check out http://www.omnimap.com/ . They have maps from all over the globe. With US prices plus shipping it will cost you a bit (maybe twice as much), but it could be worth it and is chump change compared to the cost of flying there.

DavidGalvin

by DavidGalvin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:17 pm

I appreciate all the helpful responses. As for my referring to the information on the range in SummitPost as "somewhat limited", I do apologize. I was concerned mostly with the absence of a scaled topo map, which would be helpful for planning purposes. The info on the site is otherwise very thorough, and my phrase was poorly chosen. I have contacted both Meridies and Omnimap about acquiring a map and I guess I'll skip the book. Thanks again!

Corax

by Corax » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 pm

You have mail David.

Return to South America