Where Summit Registers go to die...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Careful Pete, you're using up your entire 2009 allotment of SC-bashing in this one thread.

lefty

by lefty » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 pm

One thing I find particularly nice about finding registers on peaks is knowing when the last party signed in. This is particualry true of peaks that are snowed in during winter and where in May or June I might be the first one to have visited the summit during that year.

After a friend lost her life in the Sierra's a few years ago I began looking for and photographing her signature in register books on the peaks I summitted. I find it comforting to find a signature of a lost friend who enjoyed the same peak before I got there.

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Personally I couldn't care less about registers on the popular peaks, although I suppose if you were trying to track down a missing person...

But I do think the registers on the rarely visited summits should be left in place. I was quite disappointed to find that the original register on Castle Rock Spire had been replaced by a copy in 1991, despite perhaps 20 ascents over 40 years by then. A list of names just does not hold the same meaning as the original signatures in their own hand...

I have signed some very short and distinguished lists in very out of the way places but of course mum's the word on who and where... :wink:

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:18 pm

lefty wrote:One thing I find particularly nice about finding registers on peaks is knowing when the last party signed in. This is particualry true of peaks that are snowed in during winter and where in May or June I might be the first one to have visited the summit during that year.

Now that you mention it, I did get a kick out of doing Langley from Tuttle Creek one May and seeing the previous entry in the register was Peter Croft and his dog Peewee the previous September.

lefty wrote: ...After a friend lost her life in the Sierra's a few years ago I began looking for and photographing her signature in register books on the peaks I summitted. I find it comforting to find a signature of a lost friend who enjoyed the same peak before I got there.

Another more touching aspect I had not considered...

rpc

by rpc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 pm

euro approach to summit registers - hard cover, list of routes (see left page), sometimes topos, descriptions of start of raps.....ahhh - how civilized. the fact that the local guidebook dedicates a chapter to rules and ethics of summit register entries might be partially to "blame".

each is housed in a dedicated steel box firmly fixed in place by a steel rod :)

no avatar
mungeclimber

Re: Where Summit Registers go to die...

by mungeclimber » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
edevart wrote:Hi All,

A recent posting by a fellow SPer got me thinking.... where do summit registers go to die? Or what happens to them when they are all full and there is no more room to store them on the summit? I know that many registers from the Sierras and other prominent CA peaks like Shasta end up at the Bancroft Library at Cal Berkeley. But how about the rest?

Basically, the recent poster pointed out that he took the register home with him once he saw that it was completely filled up, and that he was looking for somebody to send it to.

Personally, I think they all belong at any library that'll take them, and if not that then a local nonprofit or stewardship organization that has long ties to that particular area and that can make them available to the public as necessary. Leaving them in the hands of a single individual for any extended period of time, no matter who it is, just seems wrong to me.

Thoughts?

I agree.

DMT

Zactly, make me a copy so we have business continuity. ;)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:31 am

If registers are not preserved, then the terrorists have already won.

norco17

by norco17 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:46 am

granite4brains wrote:I think it's amazing people get as worked up over issues like this as they do.

Me ... I can't imagine hating registers so much that I would want to carry out a large awkward shaped 15 pound ammo can 15 miles just to throw it in the garbage.

On the other side, it does seem a shame for the ORIGINAL registers to fade away and become unreadable, and a museum does sound desirable to fix that and preserve mountaineering history. But in the end, it's just a piece of paper and I can care less about proving to other people I was at the top of something. Especially since I'm sure not making history with my weenie climbs :)

I almost always sign in when one's there, but it doesn't break my heart to not find one either. The experience of the climb and maybe the few pics I snap on the way are much more precious to me.

AMEN

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 am

Dougb wrote:The cast aluminum cylinders in the High Sierra, well, the fellow that made them passed away a few years ago, so when they are gone, they are gone. Just an FYI.

Actually, it is otherwise. I carried a shiny new one up to a peak a few years ago. I got it from Ron Hudson who got it from Tina Bowman who apparently gets them from some guy who makes and then sells them out of the back of his truck, according to Ron. The only difference I noted is that they don't say "This end up" on the lid, which may lead to a few soggy registers.

1000Pks wrote:
Careful Pete, you're using up your entire 2009 allotment of SC-bashing in this one thread.

Btw, I just read your PnP M rules of engagement and wish to be instructed on how to speak in approved, glowing terms for pure hate, crime, and terror, if that is what is wished. And other instructions on how to post favorably for SP so I don't get banned it seems without notice or hearing.

Hey Pete, I'm just given you a hard time about your denial of making such posts 'even once a week.' And for the record, you've never been banned on this site. You've had some access issues, but I don't think those were on SP's side unless they affected everybody. Climb on.

ScottyS

by ScottyS » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 am

C'mon Pete, you're a special case, right?

Seriously, the summit registers are the closest I've come to meeting most you who get out and about. They need to be left alone by the NPS for that reason alone! :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 am

Dougb wrote:"If registers are not preserved, then the terrorists have already won."

the terrorists have won, imo. :!: But, it's never too late to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! Anyhow, the way I see it, is if there's a register, fine I sign it, if not, then no biggie. Eventually, all of them will be subducted into the lithosphere and disappear.

I'm in favor of launching registers into space, to protect them from a supernova (and subsequent global warming).

I'm also more worried about subduction into the asthenosphere... where the terrorists have free reign...

no avatar
mungeclimber

by mungeclimber » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:03 am

preservation is not appreciated in all things apparently.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:What's my expression right now?

DMT

You'd like to get your water glass refilled?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:52 pm

1000Pks wrote: Being that I used to work with a lot of attorneys and pretty high end people, a subtle near imperceptible twitch or bend of the finger meant action needed to be taken quite precisely. That derived from my also working in a high end restaurant where a simple slight nod of the head had to be caught and water stopped from being poured or similar.

Pete, I was going to add a semi-snide comment last night, but didn't because I figured it would just harden your stance. After seeing the snide (but humorous) additions this morn, I want to try another tack.

From the above, I agree that you have been places where a sense of paranoia is enhanced. I would also agree (from several professional run-ins) that the SC has a bunch of devious bastards at high levels.

But so do most organizations. (Haven't checked the Ba'hais lately.)

And you really aren't swaying peoples' opinions by lacing you comments with MLC SC sniping. Worse, your posts often have some meat, which tends to get ignored as people look for those special initialisms. There are a lot of good SC people, especially where the rubber meets the road, and you are mainly alienating people with less extreme viewpoints.

Now I have to get back to solving the Israeli-Palestinian problem.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Pete is SP's jester. I like the guy, as odd as he can come off.

PreviousNext

Return to California