Snow around Aconcagua

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
William Marler

Snow around Aconcagua

by William Marler » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi. Does anyone know the snow conditions in the valleys around Aconcagua leading to Plaza Argentina specifically.

I have been recieving reports that there was a record snowfall this winter. Something like 30 feet. My concern is, will it be an issue early in the climbing season (December) getting mules up to base camp such as crossing the Rio Vacas and Rio Lenchos.

If anyone has any info on this. I would appreciate it.

Cheers William

jimnylander

Re: Snow around Aconcagua

by jimnylander » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 am

Hi William,
I have been told the same. A record snowfall this year. It is my understanding so far that Plaza Argentina Base camp will be behind schedule this season. I have a trip planned for the end of November for the Polish Traverse. We may have to opt for the Normal route instead. There is still a bit of time left so perhaps conditions will improve. If I get any more info I will let you know.
Jim

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:32 am

Great question William!!!

I'd take snow over rock any day.

If the Mules can't make it to Argentina, is the terrain such that we could use sleds & pull our own gear on the snow?

Jim, please keep us posted on what you find out.

I guess we have until Dec 4th to make a definite decision. Having a good idea before Nov24th would be helpful though.

Should we be bringing snowshoes?

William Marler

by William Marler » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:24 pm

I spoke to Daniel Lopez by e-mail. He runs one of the better basecamp food tents at Plaza Argentina. He agrees that there is a lot of snow. But he does not forsee a problem getting to Plaza Argentina. He expects to be there the end of November and is expecting some of his own clients on the 5th of December. He expects that there will be more snow to deal with on the mountain itself.

I will keep you posted if I hear more.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:42 pm

Great news! Thanks, William.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:55 pm

<i>He runs one of the better basecamp food tents at Plaza Argentina</i>

He has food there??? I thought it was just beer and mate' !

William Marler

by William Marler » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:40 pm

Oh no not just beer and coke and mate. Great steak and papas fritas. Omelettes. Good strong coffee.Do you see this Daniel. I expect a free meal with all this free publicity....(}:

William Marler

by William Marler » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks.

William Marler

by William Marler » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:47 pm

Thanks for this. Cheers William

Frank

by Frank » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm

Below the news we revieved (from Rudy Parra) on 27 November concerning the snow condition to Plaza Argentina.

Cheers
Frank

The news are not good. It is not possible to arrive with mules to Plaza Argentina.
Many mules tried to arrive but it was impossible. The first ones mules and muleteers only arrived until Casa de Piedra. This happened on Saturday 26th Nov.
There are big remains of avalanches in the ascent from the Valle de las Vacas of toward the Valley de los Relinchos.
If the mules don't arrive to Plaza Argentina, it is not possible to install the camps.
I cannot assure when it can change this situation.
I don't believe that it is in the next ones 10 or next 15 days.
We will send but people with picks and shovels to try to open a path, but we are not sure of being able to make it.
It has begun very complicated this season. It has been one winter with much, but a lot of snow, maybe the most important in the last 10 years.
With many problems we have arrived to Plaza de Mulas, but there we have arrived and we are installing our camps.
The ascent for the Valle de los Relinchos is very sheer and he gets complicated everything.
We have many problems, since great part of the camps is in the deposits of Plaza Argentina from the end of the last season.
The first expeditions of the season that arrived this week have returned to ascend for the normal route and from there to make the voyage until the Glaciar de los Polacos or Falso Polacos.
Only a group of three people, they took as camp it bases Casa de Piedra and of there they will try to arrive, without service some to Plaza Argentina.

William Marler

by William Marler » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:31 pm

Wow. I'm glad now my trip was posponed. Hopefully will be better in a month.

Frank

by Frank » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:48 am

Below the news we received today concerning 1 December :

"The situation has not changed, you cannot arrive with mules to Plaza Argentina

Rangers has declared the Valle de las Vacas, like "impassable" and they won't sell permits until it doesn't change the situation.

This is until today in that I have returned to Mendoza from the mountain

If the rangers sells him the permission, it is that the valley has been enabled for the expeditions, contrary case won't give the permission (this it is the information today of the rangers)."

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:51 pm

EB and I will pick up our permits tomorrow. I´ll try to post an update if we are able. We were hoping to reach Plaza del Argentina via Plaza del Francia, but it looks now like we might have to take the normal route.

William Marler

by William Marler » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 pm

Hope it all works out for both of you. Cheers William

Next

Return to South America