NZ tramping

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
hhsilleck

NZ tramping

by hhsilleck » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:13 am

Hello!
I'm headed to the South Island for 2 months starting in February, and I'm looking for information about a couple of hikes around Mt. Aspiring. I've climbed Aspiring and done quite a lot of hiking on the South Island, and I can't wait to get back for more!

Does anybody have any information/suggestions for either the Lennox Pass or Cascade Saddle routes? Major river crossings, difficult route finding, technical sections, etc. I'm also interested in information on the Copland Pass route as well - I assume this requires rope and harness?

Any information or suggestions are welcome - thanks for the help!

Howie Silleck
Denver, CO

Dan Baker

Re: NZ tramping

by Dan Baker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:53 am

Hi Howie,

there is a lonely planet book called "Tramping in NZ" that has info on these tramps. Just be careful which tramps you do over there in terms of huts, you may need to get in and book them very soon as they tend to fill up quick on the great walks.

a site to check out also is the NZ DOC at

<a href="http://www.doc.govt.nz/index.html">link to doc</a>_

and

<a href="http://www.softrock.co.nz/mg/mghome.htm">link to softrock</a>_

I'll be in NZ in Feb and am looking at Copland pass also, I'm not sure a rope is so much needed - but probably good to have one in case - but definately crampons and ice axe etc.

cheers,
Dan.

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:54 pm

Thanks for the info Dan - I'll check out the Lonely Planet book. If you do end up doing the Copland Pass I'd love to hear how it goes - I'll check up on this message board over the next couple of months.

Thanks!
Howie

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:01 am

No worries mate.

Another one in Mt cook park you might like to consider is Ball Pass (if you haven't already done it). There is some info on this on the DOC site and also in the Lonely Plannet book. Ah...there is also info about both Ball Pass and Copland (+ Fitzgereld pass) on the Alpine Recreation site:

www.alpinerecreation.co.nz

I'll let you know how I go if I do copland ( I am hoping to).

Let me know how you go also :) If you like, my email address is: dbak3056@bigpond.net.au

Cheers
Dan :)

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 pm

Hey again Dan -
I think we've set our sights on attempting Ball Pass and the Cascade Saddle. Thanks for your suggestions - and good luck on the Copland! Let me know how it goes!

Thanks again,
Howie

Koen

by Koen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:07 pm

Howie,

I remember doing the Cascade Saddle route about 5 years ago. When checking the LP 'Tramping in NZ', it said that the part between Aspiring hut and Dart hut is quite long. So I started my walk from the carpark at the end of the matukituki valley (took a minivan from Wanaka), walked past the Aspiring hut and camped on the treeline halfway through the climb to the first ridge (pylon).

From there, I had a wonderful view on Mt Aspiring, turning pink around sunset... it's one of my best memories of a year spent tramping all around NZ. I hope to one day return and climb Aspiring.

If fit, it should be perfectly possible to hike from Aspiring to Dart hut in one day (taking an early start) without a problem.

From Dart hut, I continued along either Rees or Dart valley (don't remember which) and took a minivan to Queenstown and back to Wanaka.

Anyway, it's one of the nicest tramps I did there. So, have fun (and good weather!).

Koen

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:11 am

Thanks for the tip Koen - as long as the weather's reasonable, I'd rather be in my tent than in a hut anyways. Were there sufficient flat spots along the climb for your campsite? I've spent my fair share of nights sleeping against trees to keep from rolling downhill, so I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

Thanks again,
Howie

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands