New kiwi page!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Rick B

New kiwi page!

by Rick B » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:02 am

Hi all,

I've just returned from a fantastic holiday in NZ, and added a new New Zealand mountain: <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/6317">Roys Peak</a>! It's not a spectacularly icy glaciated peak, as I was only on a tramping holiday and not climbing. But it is a very nice panorama peak perfect for a quick and easy, but rewarding day-hike. Feel free to have a look and tell me what you think.

In the next few weeks I'll add some more NZ stuff!

Cheers,

Rick

dadndave
Forum Moderator

Re: New kiwi page!

by dadndave » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:08 am

Already checked it out Rick. Nice page. What else you putting up?
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Rick B

by Rick B » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:45 am

No mountains, but I have a bunch of cool photos from mt. Cook (climbed Ollivier, best views ever), the Remarkables, and the Kepler track (mt. Luxmore), all on SP already.

The country and the mountains are fantastic, will definitely come back some day to do some real climbing...!

Cody

by Cody » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:00 am

Nice work, I had been thinking of adding Roy's myself, I'll have to add a few pics now.

I've got a few more NZ peaks I'm working on as well. Mostly in the central Otago region, at the northern end of Lake Wakatipu. Just need to take a few more photos.

Rick B

by Rick B » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:10 am

Hey Cody, sorry about nicking the mountain right in front of you ;-) If you still have some useful info collected just add it to the page.

I see you've been up the Remarkables, nice photo. Did you summit? Maybe you (or someone else) could adopt the page? The current page is pretty useless, I had no idea what to expect up there. Decided to just scramble around a bit, and if things get too difficult turn back. So we left on a perfectly sunny day from Queenstown, but higher up we got totally blown off the mountain. I even had trouble just staying on my feet from time to time!

Ah and I also wanted to do the Tongariro crossing + Ruapehu, but the weather was so un-imaginably crap that we didn't even start the crossing and just drove on to Napier. In New Zealand they sure know what rain is!

Rick B

by Rick B » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:14 am

I forgot to ask, does anybody have a decent map of the area. I'm not sure if the name is "Roys Peak" or "Roy's Peak" (with the ' ). I only have a D.O.C. flyer with a map on it, and it marks the mountain as "Roys Peak" (also in the description). However, "Roy's Peak" does seem more logical to me.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:44 am

Another variation I saw is "Mt Roy" and "Mt Roy Track" in local information pamphlets around Wanaka. Adding further to the confusion is a larger Peak a few k's further north in the Aspiring NP called "Rob Roy Peak "or "Mt Rob Roy"

Rick B

by Rick B » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:18 pm

Yup, saw those too.. on the free maps with town info. I'd better mention that on my page.. But I didn't see it anywhere else, so I stuck with Roys Peak.

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:09 pm

nice page Rick. A beatiful part of the world, it's good to see those NZ peaks coming. I'm over in NZ in a week, can't wait !!!

ktnbs

by ktnbs » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 am

I like it.

Cody

by Cody » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:29 am

Rick

I summited on the 'single cone' of the double cone. I'm still not too sure if they are considered different peaks, or just one in the same. I've got a bunch more pics of it as well.

I get into Queenstown every couple of weeks, so I'll try and get some more local info on the remarkables, and then possibly adopt that page, if possible. there's also a bunch of climbing routes that I plan on exploring up there over the next few months.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:13 am

I wouldn't be at all surprised if FA's are still possible in the gullies and on the ribs from the western (lake) side, Cody. Not sure who owns the paddocks between the road and the range, but just ask around.

Goldie_Oz

by Goldie_Oz » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:23 am

Rick B - "the weather forecasts are notoriously crap"

For those who may not have seen this already - James McGregor down at VUW runs a terrific website (www.metvuw.com - "forecast charts" page) with forecast wind and rainfall charts every 6 hours for 7-days. From using this site the last 4 years, up to about 3 days of forecast charts have been as near to accurate as makes no odds - at least enough to plan which day you'll tackle whichever ridge you're climbing. (but the 8am DOC radio broadcast is also a must on the day)

"does anybody have a decent map of the area"

for maps you can't go past to the NZ TopoMaps 1:50,000 series (260 series - index of maps available at http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/we ... /index.jsp) and even better, the department of Land Information has an online topographic map service at http://www.nztopoonline.linz.govt.nz/ which lets you zoom in as near or far as you like.

Rick B

by Rick B » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:39 am

Ah cool, I was using the metservice + DOC forecasts, I think they got at least 6 out of 10 <i>completely</i> wrong on average.

Especially the forecast "fine" seems to be a hard one to make accurately :-) Or maybe a massive shower or three during the day qualifies as "fine" for the kiwis .. I could already picture them sitting in their garden having a barbecue while the rain is pouring down, the bbq producing all white mist etc. and the kiwis just enjoying it like there's nothing wrong and the weather is <b>fine</b> :D

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll incorporate them in the page later today!

Rick B

by Rick B » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:49 am

OK, the debate is finally settled, the department of Land Information map also shows it as "Roys Peak".

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands