Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
 

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Postby Guyzo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 pm

For those of us unlucky enuf to live and climb in major metropolitan areas, crowded climbing spots are becoming more and more the norm.

The other day some young climbers asked me what would “you do”.

These climbers went out to Malibux Creek to do some climbing. (sport climbing, short stuff 20 meters max) Arriving at the spot they found another party on the best warm up climb. This party was just starting up. My friends decided to shine the warm up and get right to the other climb.

When they started climbing the leader from the other climb yelled at them: “No, No, No, WE are going to do that one next… stay off”

What would you do?
User Avatar
Guyzo

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:11 am
Location: Moorpark, California, United States
Thanked: 24 times in 13 posts

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 pm

I'd say that is too bad. Shouldn't it be first come, first serve? Otherwise, I would suggest the other party to get off the warm-up spot and start on the other one right away. At least you could do the warm-up in the meantime?
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby The Chief » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Image

QUESTIONS???
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Postby Jakester » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Guyzo wrote:
What would you do?


Chief's response is perfectly acceptable.

Go climb it. If no one is on it, it's fair game.
User Avatar
Jakester

 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby The Chief » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 pm

And if they give ya any lip....


Image
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 pm

So, what did they do?
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Postby rhyang » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Guyzo wrote:These climbers went out to Malibux Creek to do some climbing. (sport climbing, short stuff 20 meters max) Arriving at the spot they found another party on the best warm up climb. This party was just starting up. My friends decided to shine the warm up and get right to the other climb.

When they started climbing the leader from the other climb yelled at them: “No, No, No, WE are going to do that one next… stay off”


I think I would just laugh heartily :)

We have some climbing areas up in the local hills too. I avoid them on the weekends because they can get to be a zoo sometimes.

Overcrowding usually makes people behave poorly, though most climbers who have been in the sport for a while I find are pretty nice about this kind of thing.
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby lcarreau » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Here's what I would have told the bastards!


Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 922 times in 693 posts

Postby lcarreau » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:13 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I wouldn't so much as acknowledge their existence.

DMT



Thank ye, Dingus!

That's probably the reason nobody wants to respond to me when I post comments on threads!

:lol:

(Unless I post the "German Beer Girls" picture.)
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 922 times in 693 posts

Postby fatdad » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm

I think the appropriate response(s) have been provided. But I can't believe no one's asked this question yet: What did your friends do?
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 88 times in 62 posts

Postby Guyzo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Luciano136 wrote:So, what did they do?


Oh, they climbed the climb.....

The first bunch of climbers were pretty mad..... stormed off after making disparaging remarks about my young friends gender - and climbing status -

But there is more.... on the way out (if you have never been there - you traverse over some water - 5.5 ) they chopped a key foothold, making the traverse like 5.9, and they declared to others, who were on the traverse. "there that will keep out the rif-raf" .....

Pretty lame.


:roll: :roll:
User Avatar
Guyzo

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:11 am
Location: Moorpark, California, United States
Thanked: 24 times in 13 posts

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 pm

fatdad wrote: But I can't believe no one's asked this question yet: What did your friends do?


Looks like I'm being ignored as well :( :D
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Guyzo wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:So, what did they do?


Oh, they climbed the climb.....

The first bunch of climbers were pretty mad..... stormed off after making disparaging remarks about my young friends gender - and climbing status -

But there is more.... on the way out (if you have never been there - you traverse over some water - 5.5 ) they chopped a key foothold, making the traverse like 5.9, and they declared to others, who were on the traverse. "there that will keep out the rif-raf" .....

Pretty lame.


:roll: :roll:


Ugh, that's ridiculous! Sometimes I hate people! What a bunch of *sses!
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby The Chief » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Oh... now we have a surfer's "Local's Only" mentality growing????

GREEAAT!


Ya might just have to reverse that shet with a little of this mentality...
Image
Image
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.