Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do You Climb Naked?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
 

Postby Day Hiker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:13 am

Andinistaloco wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Just don't forget to apply sunscreen, especially at elevation. Made that mistake once. Luckily, the sun was coming in from the side, not head-on.


Well, it sounds like you certainly had...

...wait for it....

The sunburn to prove it!


Every time I hear that SP cliche, I think about my 20 July 2002 Telescope Peak hike. And it was actually my left hip that got the sunburn.

Telescope Peak in July is great for hiking naked. If nobody else is parked at the trailhead, you know you have the trail to yourself all the way up. That is, unless some asshole is crazy enough to hike 11300 feet up from Shorty's Well in July.
User Avatar
Day Hiker

 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:57 am
Location: Henderson, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 61 times in 43 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

Day Hiker wrote: That is, unless some asshole is crazy enough to hike 11300 feet up from Shorty's Well in July.


You can get seriously injured going to 11300' on Telescope... like Icarus.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7598
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 735 times in 474 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 am

Foxy Long Bottoms wrote:Do I climb naked? Been there, done that, got the T-shirt but I didn't wear it because I was naked!


How many men will reflexively hit your profile after this?

It was a full moon on the 3rd Flatiron over Boulder. :lol:
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7598
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 735 times in 474 posts

Postby Day Hiker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Day Hiker wrote: That is, unless some asshole is crazy enough to hike 11300 feet up from Shorty's Well in July.


You can get seriously injured going to 11300' on Telescope... like Icarus.


That's the elevation gain, silly. Shorty's Well is at minus 250 feet or something like that.
User Avatar
Day Hiker

 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:57 am
Location: Henderson, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 61 times in 43 posts

Postby Day Hiker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Foxy Long Bottoms wrote:Do I climb naked? Been there, done that, got the T-shirt but I didn't wear it because I was naked!


How many men will reflexively hit your profile after this?


And how many clicked on snowflake's profile, just to find out he's not a female? :oops:
User Avatar
Day Hiker

 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:57 am
Location: Henderson, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 61 times in 43 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
Day Hiker wrote: That is, unless some asshole is crazy enough to hike 11300 feet up from Shorty's Well in July.


You can get seriously injured going to 11300' on Telescope... like Icarus.


That's the elevation gain, silly. Shorty's Well is at minus 250 feet or something like that.


Actually, the accumulated gain is more like 11500', since there are 3 bumps on the way. I've done that hike, but not in July; because the moon was better in November, of course.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7598
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 735 times in 474 posts

Postby Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Why do you ask? Hey, I'm not one of those guys (not that there's anything wrong with that)! Just keep your hands to yourself! :lol: :lol: :lol:
User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Thanked: 662 times in 467 posts

Postby snowflake » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
Foxy Long Bottoms wrote:Do I climb naked? Been there, done that, got the T-shirt but I didn't wear it because I was naked!


How many men will reflexively hit your profile after this?


And how many clicked on snowflake's profile, just to find out he's not a female? :oops:


The comment about not needing an ice axe to self-arrest should have been a give-away; sorry to disappoint the guys out there. BTW, the profile photo is K2 North Ridge ABC, and it was VERY cold.
User Avatar
snowflake

 
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Nevada City, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:06 pm

snowflake wrote:BTW, the profile photo is K2 North Ridge ABC, and it was VERY cold.


So much for an ice axe eh :D
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3734
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby MarthaP » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:36 pm

snowflake wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:And how many clicked on snowflake's profile, just to find out he's not a female? :oops:


The comment about not needing an ice axe to self-arrest should have been a give-away; sorry to disappoint the guys out there.


Yeah, but the ladies are pretty happy. Image

So, you from around these parts? Image
User Avatar
MarthaP

 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Thanked: 4 times in 1 post

Postby Buz Groshong » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 pm

sarah.simon wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww.

I can safely say that the vast majority of the folks I've summitted peaks with, bless their sweet hearts, I have zero interest in seeing any more of.

In fact, many of them should stick to winter mountaineering for the full coverage offered.

NO THANKS!


Errr...uh...no disrespect meant to the many mountain lovelies here on SP I've hiked with... :oops:


Hey, I know you were talking about me! :evil: and your half-hearted apology is not accepted! :evil:
User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Thanked: 662 times in 467 posts

Postby Sarah Simon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:37 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww.

I can safely say that the vast majority of the folks I've summitted peaks with, bless their sweet hearts, I have zero interest in seeing any more of.

In fact, many of them should stick to winter mountaineering for the full coverage offered.

NO THANKS!


Errr...uh...no disrespect meant to the many mountain lovelies here on SP I've hiked with... :oops:


Hey, I know you were talking about me! :evil: and your half-hearted apology is not accepted! :evil:


But...Buz, if you had heeded my instructions to climb in costume (see related thread "Climbing in Costume) and climbed as a pirate or a cowboy, we wouldn't be having this argument, now, would we? :P
User Avatar
Sarah Simon

 
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:01 am
Location: Black Forest, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 238 times in 107 posts

Postby brianhughes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:40 pm

I saw this naked dude last month, when I was visiting my nephew, who lives just up the hill from it in Silt. I can't imagine why anyone would even give it a second look. The locals call it the Round-a-Butt.
User Avatar
brianhughes

 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Postby edl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Naked people in the wilderness is great in theory, but in reality isn't so hot. Among any group of people, the ones most likely to get naked are the ones who need to keep their clothes on. Ugh...
edl

 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:34 pm
Location: Idaho Falls, U.S State, Country
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts

Postby MarthaP » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:02 am

edl wrote:Naked people in the wilderness is great in theory, but in reality isn't so hot. Among any group of people, the ones most likely to get naked are the ones who need to keep their clothes on. Ugh...


Most likely also the same folks who ask for a bike jersey in an XXL.
User Avatar
MarthaP

 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Thanked: 4 times in 1 post

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.