Prophetic Mountaineering Dreams

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
MarthaP

Prophetic Mountaineering Dreams

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 am

Okay, this may end up in PnP but that's understandable.

But how many of you have had dreams about mountaineering that ended up being true?

Case in point - Kearsarge Pass. I had a vivid dream about Kearsage Pass (incorrect spelling intentional) and the cirque.

Understand I've never been to Kearsarge. I have no idea the topography, geography, or anything.

At any rate, my goal was to complete a long-distance run around a lake bounded by the Kearsage, whatever that meant. There was a large lake, not unlike Tahoe, in the center of the picture and four peaks I needed to traverse on the east side of the lake. I started at a trailhouse lodge and headed up the west side of the lake following a yellow trail line that resembled the route lines on a metro train map. Follow the yellow brick road, I guess. Bounding back down the east side the silhouettes of the peaks were steep and challenging.

I've looked at a guidebook since then, and there's an uncanny similarity to the images in my dream. A cirque around a water formation, Kearsarge Lakes. The peaks to traverse, Kearsarge Peaks (although maybe not all 10/11 of them).

What are your dreams come true? Wacky subject, I know. :wink:

dan2see

by dan2see » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:14 am

Well I dream about parts of mountains, and about people on the rocks, as if they belonged there. But I don't remember the story-line, so I can't make anything out of it.

But once I was napping on the slope of my favorite mountain, and it started talking to me. :shock:
It didn't become animated, it just started telling me something. 8)
Unfortunately that really got my attention so I woke up, before it was able to actually say what it was going to say. :?

I visit that mountain frequently. Always with a different objective. I've discovered more routes and camp-sites.
Nobody else goes there, which is strange because it's always good to me.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 am

MarthaP wrote:Okay, this may end up in PnP but that's understandable.

But how many of you have had dreams about mountaineering that ended up being true?

Case in point - Kearsarge Pass. I had a vivid dream about Kearsage Pass (incorrect spelling intentional) and the cirque.

Understand I've never been to Kearsarge. I have no idea the topography, geography, or anything.

At any rate, my goal was to complete a long-distance run around a lake bounded by the Kearsage, whatever that meant. There was a large lake, not unlike Tahoe, in the center of the picture and four peaks I needed to traverse on the east side of the lake. I started at a trailhouse lodge and headed up the west side of the lake following a yellow trail line that resembled the route lines on a metro train map. Follow the yellow brick road, I guess. Bounding back down the east side the silhouettes of the peaks were steep and challenging.

I've looked at a guidebook since then, and there's an uncanny similarity to the images in my dream. A cirque around a water formation, Kearsarge Lakes. The peaks to traverse, Kearsarge Peaks (although maybe not all 10/11 of them).

What are your dreams come true? Wacky subject, I know. :wink:

Not wacky at all. :wink:

MarthaP, Hi,

I think that dreams might be views into your future.

Kearsarge pass is one of the routes that the native Americans used to travel from the central valley to the east side.

Now day’s lots of backpackers use this pass to get into the Sierra.

It is the pass you can use to cross the Sierra in a day.

Maybe you are getting the call.

and Mts do speak to me.

GK
:wink:

armorfoot

by armorfoot » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:24 pm

I had a dream when I was younger about climbing Aconcagua. I don't remember much about the dream on the climb up. I do remember the part of the dream where I was hauling ass down it. When I got to the bottom, everyone was talking about how fast I did it.

It made no sense at the time, since I was still in my "fatty preteen" stage, and had no desire to climb mountains. I'm sure I barely had the vaguest idea what Aconcagua even was.

One day, I'll probably get there. I might not do it as lightning quick as I did in my dream, but I'll get there.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Dan, Guy - what great perspectives. Maybe as we get older we get closer to the wisdom of our "Elders" and are actually willing to hear.

I'm haunted by Kearsarge. There's some reason I have to go there. I think after the first of the year, in the snow. Research has already begun.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm

I've been dreaming about a few mountains. Something intangible, but a nagging push. Some are here in Maine, one I have to go back to, no, make that need to. But alone.
And then out west, Wyoming. I think I know why, but it's hard to quantify.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:58 pm

My dreams almost always involve people dieing, so I hope none of my "sleeping dreams" come true. I have personal dreams though of climbing in far off countries that I hope come true someday.

no avatar
aemter

by aemter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Funny this topic came up today . . .

Last night I dreamed that my wife and I were climbing Rainier, except in my dream the mountain was a hell of alot bigger than Rainier. We were scoping out our route when all of a sudden avalanches started all over the mountain. And then a big lenticular cloud covered the cap - and it wasn't a nice white fluffy cloud. It was a black cloud full of lightning. After I realized that my wife didn't even have rain gear, we abandoned the climb.

I've been thinking about an April 2010 climb of Rainier lately, which probably spawned this subconscious. However, my wife isn't a climber. And she doesn't even own rain gear. :)

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:06 pm

kakakiw wrote:I've been dreaming about a few mountains. Something intangible, but a nagging push. Some are here in Maine, one I have to go back to, no, make that need to. But alone.

And then out west, Wyoming. I think I know why, but it's hard to quantify.

You've quantified it with your response. :) Awesome.

lisae

by lisae » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't have dreams about mountains, but I do have dreams about climbing. They fall into two categories - either bad belay dreams or dreams where I am climbing, moving smoothly, and everything feels easy. I love those dreams. :)

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:43 pm

MarthaP wrote:I'm haunted by Kearsarge. There's some reason I have to go there. I think after the first of the year, in the snow. Research has already begun.

Definitely save it for the snow. In the summer, it's a cluster-f#@!, especially at the lakes.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:31 pm

mconnell wrote:
MarthaP wrote:I'm haunted by Kearsarge. There's some reason I have to go there. I think after the first of the year, in the snow. Research has already begun.

Definitely save it for the snow. In the summer, it's a cluster-f#@!, especially at the lakes.

No, want until July 4th next year. It's a weekend, should really be a show. :lol: :wink:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Ha-ha, kakakiw! I'm with MC - a trans-Sierra on skis. It'd be the only time and the only way to go.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:51 pm

MarthaP wrote:Ha-ha, kakakiw! I'm with MC - a trans-Sierra on skis. It'd be the only time and the only way to go.

Oh come on! No guts,no glory!
:twisted:

dan2see

by dan2see » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:24 am

MarthaP wrote:Dan, Guy - what great perspectives. Maybe as we get older we get closer to the wisdom of our "Elders" and are actually willing to hear.

I'm haunted by Kearsarge. There's some reason I have to go there. I think after the first of the year, in the snow. Research has already begun.

The Indians get in touch with Nature when they head for the hills, on "Vision Quest".
Well what was my little dream, if not the same kind of sign?
I gotta say, I thought it was important, at the time!

Uhh, Martha, who's getting "older"? :shock:

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander