N. Fork Lone Pine Creek topo?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Sam Page

N. Fork Lone Pine Creek topo?

by Sam Page » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:48 am

Where can I find a printable topo detailing the route up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek?

And furthermore, how accurate is Secor's 2009 description?

Thanks!

no avatar
The Chief

Re: N. Fork Lone Pine Creek topo?

by The Chief » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 am

sampage wrote:Where can I find a printable topo detailing the route up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek?

And furthermore, how accurate is Secor's 2009 description?

Thanks!

Have you been up there during the daylight hours??????

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:58 am

If you're looking for the best guide, check out the Super Topo Book on the High Sierra. (It's also available in PDF).

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/highsierra.html

Gusto

ChugachMan

by ChugachMan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:24 am

I'm pretty sure Peter Croft's topo is kind of off (don't go on the right side of the lake!)... if you go up in the daylight, you should be good, but if you go up at night, you may get lost on the ledges, and will probably (assuming you haven't gone) get lost between lower and upper boyscout ledges. Cross lower boyscout at the beginning of the lake, and when the trail turns to rock, don't get suckered into heading uphill too early. The trail is actually pretty well worn now where there's dirt, and isn't a scattering of thin trails as some of the guides would have you believe.

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:52 am

I was up there in daylight once, er, 15 years ago. I remember thrashing through brush near the creek. We probably missed the Ebersbacher Ledges. How visible is that "Matterhorn-shaped rock" that supposedly marks the beginning of the chute up to the Ledges? And how far up the creek is it after you cross back over to the north side?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:57 am

Matterhorn shaped rock??? I have been up & down the NFLPC trail over 40+ times in the past 12 months and do not recollect anything of the sorts.

There is a very prominent trail up there these days.

I highly recommend that you go for a looksee, at least to the Ledges, prior to doing this in the dark. It will definitely save you much grief and time.

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks Chief. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get up there in the light before Sunday morning. It sounds as though the route to the Ebersbacher Ledges is clear enough. I could always wait at the bottom of the ledges until it gets light enough.

How long does it take to get to the Eb. Ledges from the trailhead, on average?

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:53 am

The Matterhorn shaped rock is near the start of the ledges. Its only about 10 feet tall and hidden in the brush. Maybe at one time it was more conspicuous. It not very prominent so it probably doesn't make a good landmark anymore.

Here is a link to a topo of the North Fork:
http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/resources/mountaineers/Mt_Whitney_Mountaineers_Map.pdf

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

jspeigl: you rock! Thanks for the map.

Return to California