Maroon Bells Snow Cover?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
McCannster

Maroon Bells Snow Cover?

by McCannster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 am

Hey all you Aspen folks, what's the snow cover looking like up on the Bells? I know they could get a few inches tonight/tomorrow. We want to go for the traverse on Saturday, just wondering if there is any existing snow up there that would make the traverse too sketchy for Saturday. Any info is appreciated.

no avatar
Gorg

Snow

by Gorg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:51 pm

Snowlines is around 11,000 feet right now
lower the furter east you go

McCannster

by McCannster » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Pulled this off a thread from 14ers
Image Maroon Bells yesterday morning, a little too much snow to warrant a safe traverse. We're gonna go do Mt of the Holy Cross instead.

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Last time I had done the bells we had gotten a few inches of snow the night before, my partner and I were hessitant but decided to hike up as close as we could. When we reached near the summit of the north bell we figured " screw it" let's go!
I was wearing mesh trail runners (that got soaked half way up) we ended up getting both bells all to our selves. Only had a bit of scetchy climbing on the northwest side of the south bell but enjoyed a rare lonely climb of some of the most beautiful mountains in the world

Return to Colorado