California is the Best.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 am

I live in an area where there are nada immigration issues and zero speed cameras !

:wink: :wink: :wink:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 am

Guyzo wrote:
Redpoynte wrote:Where in CA can you live in a major metropolitan area, and climb a 14,000'+ mountain on a weekday and be back in time for work? Denver ==> Mt. Evans ==> Snave Couloir ==> Denver by 8AM! :D

EZ... Bishop. :) :)

It truly is the biggest "metro" area in our neck of the woods.

Except in Winter when 1000's of LAers migrate to MML for the winter snow gig.

And Mt. Evans aint no climb... it's a frkn drive!

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 pm

The Chief wrote:
And Mt. Evans aint no climb... it's a frkn drive!

Just like El Cap ain't no climb, it's just a nice walk. It all depends on the route.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Los Angeles is the best mountain town in the country.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT is funny!

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I find myself in agreement with Gary...

I've lived in L.A. since 1982. Several things I notice since then are how much better the air is these days, and the crime rate is much lower. I have always lived on the edge of the city though. This is key for climbing. I pity the climbers who live by the beach, they face a grim drive just to get out of the city, trapped by the urban sprawl.

It's a personality thing though. I thrive on the urban environment, you know, born and raised New Yorker... Good restaurants, music, art, markets, ummm.

All that and being within easy range of so much fabulous climbing.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Going from L.A. to those mountain places on Friday and back on Sunday, how's that traffic? Ever hit the speed limit?

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Traffic can be a hassle. As I said being on the perimeter is key. I'm in Monrovia. Great access to Josh, Idyllwild, and the San Gabriels are in my backyard (literally.) For Eastside trips I jump over the Angeles Crest and pop out in Palmdale - missing all the traffic. Sierra westside trips are a little less convenient from here than Northridge area. Anyway I'm not strictly a weekender so I pick the timing...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Los Angeles is the best mountain town in the country. Big horn sheep live just 30 miles from downtown. Cougars infiltrate the fringes of the city. You can ride a bike to the foot of a 10,000' mountain. Easy access to two of the best rock climbing venues in the world. Easy access to the Sierras as well. Not to mention desert peaks.

And to top it off you get LACMA, the Norton Simon Museum, the Getty and the LA Philharmonic.

That settles it. Everyone move to LA! Quick, while the housing market is still favorable!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:17 am

ksolem wrote:Traffic can be a hassle. As I said being on the perimeter is key. I'm in Monrovia. Great access to Josh, Idyllwild, and the San Gabriels are in my backyard (literally.) For Eastside trips I jump over the Angeles Crest and pop out in Palmdale - missing all the traffic. Sierra westside trips are a little less convenient from here than Northridge area. Anyway I'm not strictly a weekender so I pick the timing...

When on travel to Pasadena for work, I have stayed in nearby Arcadia. I thought the location was really convenient for access to the mountains.

It makes a lot of sense for a hiker or climber to live on L.A.'s inland perimeter. The other 98% of the population can have the city's interior and coast.

I feel sorry for all the Friday-night losers who take 8 hours to do the 3-hour drive to Vegas. But that's only because they support the economy here.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:
mconnell wrote:

Now THAT is funny!

No, it's true.

Even though I wouldn't consider where I live to be anywhere near one of the best, from here:

- 10 minutes to the base of a 14,000' mountain.
- 20 minutes to a better trailhead with access to couloir climbing, alpine ice, BC skiing
- 30 minutes to 3 different climbing areas with multi-pitch granite
- 30 minutes to multi-pitch sandstone climbs
- An hour to short (2-3 pitch) ice climbs
- 2 hours to a world class ice climbing area
- 2 hours gives you a choice of world class ski areas
- 4 hours to big wall climbing
- Less than a day from 1500' ice climbs, desert towers, etc.

In an hour from LA, you can be almost out of LA.

As I said before, there are great things about CA, but the LA area wouldn't even make it to my top 100 list of places to live if you are a climber. (I admit, I've never lived in LA but I did live in the area for 2 years)

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 am

Hey look, a marmot.... Im hungry!

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:
mconnell wrote:

Now THAT is funny!

No, it's true.

Now, coming from an LA native, I'd have to qualify this statement. It's clearly not the best pure mountain town in the country, but I think it is the best big city in the country if you want quick access to a variety of outdoor activities.

If all I wanted was mountains, there'd be lots of places where I could move, but I'd have neighbors with three teeth and dressed like they were cowboys even though they work at a gas station. Cultural entertainment would consist of whatever twangy local country band playing at the local dive bar. "Palin 2012" stickers would adorn every bumper of every pickup. I think I'd last about a week.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:45 pm

fatdad wrote: "Palin 2012" stickers would adorn every bumper of every pickup. I think I'd last about a week.

LMAO!!

Diggler

by Diggler » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:17 pm

fatdad wrote:
Now, coming from an LA native, I'd have to qualify this statement. It's clearly not the best pure mountain town in the country, but I think it is the best big city in the country if you want quick access to a variety of outdoor activities.

I'd have to say that Denver, Seattle, or Salt Lake (borderline 'big city') would all have LA beat as far as outdoor access.

In terms of Cali big cities, I couldn't imagine living in LA over The Bay. :) Y'all have Josh & the transverse ranges (admittedly quite nice), but Yosemite is directly E of SF, Tahoe (& crags) is 3 hours or so away, Shasta is around 5, Big Sur less than 3, ... In the immediate vicinity, add the redwoods, the headlands, Maverick's, Pt. Reyes, etc. No comparison. :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander