Mt Whitney twice in one day

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
graham

by graham » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 pm

It's still just HIKING. Lots of endurance required, but it doesn't take much skill. :wink:

Ha!
OK OK, how’z about if he juggles 3 pineapples after the 1st ascent, then plays ping pong with only his left hand after summit #2, and as a grand finale plays La Cucaracha on bagpipes after #3. Now that’s some HIKING AND SKILL :lol:

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 pm

graham wrote:
It's still just HIKING. Lots of endurance required, but it doesn't take much skill. :wink:

Ha!
OK OK, how’z about if he juggles 3 pineapples after the 1st ascent, then plays ping pong with only his left hand after summit #2, and as a grand finale plays La Cucaracha on bagpipes after #3. Now that’s some HIKING AND SKILL :lol:

:lol:

Sunday around 5-ish I was at the portal with my friend Laura and her s.o. Sean (we had just scrambled up Candlelight together). Rick happened to be around and Laura called him over, so he had portal burgers with us. We all had a nice time. I'd never met Rick before, and he seemed like a decent guy. We chatted about canyoneering, recent adventures, future plans, and the usual stuff. Sounded like his work was making a lot of demands on his time, so he had to get something in.

I like to think I have a bit of climbing skill, but I doubt I have the stamina anymore to dayhike Whitney once, let alone twice or three times.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:35 pm

rhyang wrote:I'd never met Rick before, and he seemed like a decent guy.

Yep. And that's an understatement too.

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 am

I hate supermen like Rick!! They make mere mortals like us look bad. :P

EManBevHills

Competitive Insanity?

by EManBevHills » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 pm

On Sunday morning, I ran into Rick Kent's multiple Mt. Baldy ascent compatriot, Richard Piorowski, at the portal store. He had just come off of doing the MR twice in a day!

Luciano136

Re: Competitive Insanity?

by Luciano136 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:41 pm

EManBevHills wrote:On Sunday morning, I ran into Rick Kent's multiple Mt. Baldy ascent compatriot, Richard Piorowski, at the portal store. He had just come off of doing the MR twice in a day!

LOL The plan was that they were going to do it together that weekend but Rick couldn't go, so he just did it a week earlier :lol:

TYeary

by TYeary » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 pm

My pal Tony Yinger once soloed the East Face , then the East Buttress , car to car in a day. I don't have that kind of desire anymore. I guess it's a function of getting older....drat!
Tony

Previous

Return to California