Fall in the Sierra

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:31 am

Now that's SWEET!

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 pm

I was reading here:

http://www.bishopvisitor.com/activities ... tions.php3

that it seems like a lot of the fall foliage has been squandered by the cold temps of last weekend. Anyone have any insight on places still holding on to some color?

Seems like some of the lower elevations have faired better than higher-up.

I was thinking maybe McGee Creek. Rock Creek was on my list too, but I don't know how it's fairing after the snow....

Heading up Saturday (10/10/09) morning. Thanks for the input!

Gusto

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:18 am

Got up to South Lake, Lake Sabrina, Rock Creek, and McGee Creek this past weekend (10/10/09). The road up to South Lake and Lake Sabrina all had patches of yellow. The best spot was around Aspendell. If anyone is going, you can go up through Cardinal Camp. I would recommend staying on the left side of the river at the bridge where you can cross and go over to the mine. Most of the good color is further up.

On Sunday we started heading up Rock Creek, but turned around where the road normally closes for winter, although the road wasn't closed. Pretty much the same, some patches of yellow here and there.

Overall, the best spot we found over the weekend was McGee Creek. Decent color at the trailhead. We saw a lot of people just snapping pictures and getting back in their cars, but they missed out! About 30 minutes up the trail you pass a small creek and the views really open up. Still quite a bit of green, but the hillsides looked pretty wonderful.

Gusto

Previous

Return to California