Mt Adams in May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
WICLIMBER

Mt Adams in May

by WICLIMBER » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has input on Mt Adams, WA routes. I plan to take my mother(47) for possibly her last big hike. Im lookin for a route that is not to technical. She has went up Mt Hood (south side route) with me in pretty inclimate weather. as well as Mt st helens. Im lookin for any route other than the South Spur.
any advice is greatly appreciated
-Brandon

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:09 am

Adams is usually fairly inaccessible in May due to snowed up roads.

WICLIMBER

by WICLIMBER » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:54 am

well than, how bout a suggested time period to do Adams? I planned on makin it a couple day hike in(if possible) and camp along the way. Suggestions?
How bout anyother options in the cascades for mid may to early june?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:08 am

Late June is better for Adams. If you want to avoid the S Spur, you may want to look at the Mazama Glacier route. I think Mt Baker, although much more serious due to glacier travel, is a really awesome mountain. Mount Stuart is a great mountain and the Cascadian Couloir is non technical and is probably going to be accessible in May, certainly by June. Colchuck Glacier (not really a glacier) on Colchuck Peak is a good early season choice as well.

Deltaoperator17

Re: Mt Adams in May

by Deltaoperator17 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:20 pm

WICLIMBER wrote:Hello all, just wondering if anyone has input on Mt Adams, WA routes. I plan to take my mother(47) for possibly her last big hike. Im lookin for a route that is not to technical. She has went up Mt Hood (south side route) with me in pretty inclimate weather. as well as Mt st helens. Im lookin for any route other than the South Spur.
any advice is greatly appreciated
-Brandon

DUDE!, If your Mom is 47 does that mean that our last big hikes have to be then. Wow, poor girl, I am glad my kids arent putting me out to pasture. Did you know there is an over 60 club on SP that could carry you and your Mom up Adams? LOL

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 am

47! Just a young thing! What will she do the rest of her life? Sit on a porch in a chair and watch the world go by?

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Yeah, I'm 61 and didn't start climbing until I was 54.

I know a fella from Spokane - took up Mtn climbing at 50, later climbed McKinely solo.

And went on to climb the 3rd highest mountain in the world.

WICLIMBER

by WICLIMBER » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm

:o Whoa whoa whoa, Wait a minute guys, I dont mean that I dont wanna take her anymore, she just plans that this will be her last go. Im more than willing to take her more she if she is willing. I would more than love to take her more.

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Sorry Wiclimber... we lost our drift.

Well... every year... in June same thing... we all sit around waiting and waiting for word of the snow to melt so we can climb Mt. Adams. Sometimes the snow melts earlier (May?), sometimes later (July).

Last year, a single snowbank stood in the way of the final three miles to the trailhead... so a bunch of impatient hikers/climbers attacked it with snow shovels... and the road was open again...

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)