winter climbing bum

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
alpinejason

winter climbing bum

by alpinejason » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 pm

i was laid off back in the spring and enjoyed a summer of climbing and would like to continue climbing straight on through the winter. i'm seriously considering driving out to out to colorado to climb ice for several weeks this winter. anybody offer any advice for finding a cash job around ouray? or telluride maybe? i've never been to the area so don't know if they hire a lot of seasonal workers to wait tables or whatever. i'd just need enough cash to pay food and gas to drive.

shoot me some thoughts if you have any. thanks.

Jason

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:27 am

I wrote ten different job ideas, I deleted them all due to a risk of being banned, all profitable in ouray and telluride though

pinscar

by pinscar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:29 am

DudeThatMustHurt wrote:I wrote ten different job ideas, I deleted them all due to a risk of being banned, all profitable in ouray and telluride though

I can imagine what some of those were, Dude. But I don't know, man ... while I like the profit margin, I don't think I could climb being so sore and all. :lol:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:23 pm

About the only thing you'd find would be ski resort jobs in Telluride - Ouray is too tiny and winter is their off-season so I doubt they'd be hiring.

no avatar
JJ

by JJ » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Good luck in finding jobs in Telluride. The ecenomy is HURTING down there and the rentals are more expensive than Vail. Of course you could always snow cave it, but then you still have the problem of finding a job. Go to Winter Park. They are all over FOX news that they are hiring....funny.

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Several "bums" around here in the San Juan work shoveling roofs. They make amazing money (all under the table). Obviously the amount of work depends on how much snow we get, but, even during a "bad" year there is lots to do.

Return to Colorado