Devil's Tower

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jthomas

Devil's Tower

by jthomas » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Anyone climbed Devil's Tower? I am interested in what is the best time of year. I like cooler weather and try to avoid extreme heat, but I noticed on the website of the guide service that they have already had their first snow. I am a novice rock climber, but I assume climbing in the snow is not a great idea. Thoughts on the best time to go?

Dow Williams

Re: Devil's Tower

by Dow Williams » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:51 pm

jthomas wrote:Anyone climbed Devil's Tower? I am interested in what is the best time of year. I like cooler weather and try to avoid extreme heat, but I noticed on the website of the guide service that they have already had their first snow. I am a novice rock climber, but I assume climbing in the snow is not a great idea. Thoughts on the best time to go?

go to BigWallys websiteand email away...he is quite responsive and lives and breaths the place....and is quite generous to folks who visit

climber555

by climber555 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:17 am

Right now there is only patches of snow in the Bearlodge Mountains. Usually the Northern Black Hills (Devils Tower) and the Bearlodge Mountains see earlier and more snowfall then the central and southern hills. Your optimal time to climb is right now on a fair weekend. A mild winter with below average snowfall is predicted for the area, but after late Nov. it usually gets pretty cold.

jharrwyo

by jharrwyo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:25 pm

climbed on it yesterday and it was beautiful. Virtually nobody to contend with and it was cool enough to climb on the west side during mid to late afternoon. Like someone said though bigwally is the man to get a hold of.

mocksta

by mocksta » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:18 am

I am also a beginner climber,, i climbed it this summer and had a blast,, we did the durrance route, wich took 4 of use 5 hrs up and down!!! 6 pitches,,, i would do it in the spring or fall,, summer it gets real hot,,, if ya start early in the morning its not so bad!! but good luck with it!!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)