shasta in late March

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
absinthe52

shasta in late March

by absinthe52 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:28 pm

I am planning a trip to Shasta and Hood sometime in the spring. wondering how the "typical" snow/conditions are for late march/early april for a Casaval ascent. Is it better to wait until later in the spring? I know it all dependson the year, but I need to purchase airplane tix now to avoid high costs later. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for your time

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:30 pm

We're looking at a moderate to moderately strong El-nino this winter, and March is generally pre-melt, so you are potentially looking at a lot of snow.

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:34 pm

On average, I would think May is your best bet for Casaval Ridge. However, Shasta can deal you any kind of weather at any time of the year. I've been blown off the mountain in May, and I've strolled up to the summit with my hat and gloves in my pack in February.

OWilderness

by OWilderness » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:22 am

Like bob said, the conditions vary tremendously at that time of the year. Earlier this year I made a summit attempt in late April, but was nearly blown off the mountain and was dealing with sub-zero temperatures and wind-scoured ice. But I have also been up in March for skiing on a balmy beautiful day with knee-deep powder. So my guess is that the snow conditions will be great, but the weather is the variable at that time of the year.

Return to California