Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do you “toss your cookies” before a climb?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby Guyzo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:29 pm

We were at JT. Big campfire, tons of people, we are having a good time.

Someone asks this question. “anybody want a White Russian?” I say yes yes. I start drinking em, one after another….. somehow I found my sleeping bag :?

Fast forward to early am….. K sol kicks my feet and reminds me that we are going to do the “death march” and go climb some 5.12 deal way out in the wonderland…..

So I get up, feeling a little “woozy” and walk over to the wonderful facilities, When I opened the door and got a whiff…that was all it took to open the flood gates. :oops:

A little later I went back to the camp. Kris was all clean and fresh faced and ready to go.

I was just hanging on and trying really hard not to hurl again.

But what saved the day was the breakfast he made for me…. Bacon and bagels, the stuff of life.

Good partners eat bacon. :wink:
Guyzo

Postby ShortTimer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:29 pm

I used to climb with Herb Laeger all the time. He had a friend that we climbed with occassionally and this guy would hurl before the first pitch of the day every time. I mean EVERY time! And if you asked him to lead a pitch, he would hurl some more. Every time! After the first time I just lead everything.
ShortTimer

Postby Alan Ellis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:53 pm

I've thrown up more Cliff bars than you can imagine.....but it was from the altitude. It used to be a joke among the CO boys about me throwing up on every mountain climb. However, the joke was on them because I always summitted regardless of how sick I was. I don't know why, but I don't get sick any more. Here's an old TR where I was sick as hell:

Two Yaks Seen On San Luis Peak
Alan Ellis

Postby Dave Daly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:41 pm

I know someone who ALWAYS needs to take sh*t before starting the first climb of the day! :lol: :wink:
Dave Daly

Postby Dragger » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:45 pm

I often feel like barfing on the way to a climb if it's a windy, twisty road to get there. I have barfed in the middle of a mountain bike race before, but that's it. And I did barf out of both the driver's and passenger's side of a car once... in Las Vegas... on the strip at about 11pm at night... it was packed and there were some young guys behind us screaming "YEEEAAA! YOU GO GIRL!" (It was actually samonella poisoning from eating a "Balance" bar climbin at Red Rocks but what did they know!)
Dragger

Postby fatdad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Butterflies the night before launching on the Captain, but that's about it. Hurling, definitely not.
fatdad

Postby Mark Straub » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 am

After a strenuous day climb (more like a long, steep hike with a lot of gear on my back), I went to a restaurant and ate way more than I should have too fast, everyone was cheering me on. I had the post-climb hunger even more than usual, so I ate a big burger and a lot of boneless buffalo wings. 30 minutes later, I felt really sick and threw some of it up. My dad said, "What a waste of a buffalo wing."

I laughed and sighed at the same time.

-Mark
Mark Straub

Postby kheegster » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:41 am

The upper parts of the DC on Rainier is always dotted with technicolor yawns from the RMI caravans. However, I've heard stories of people who had to do #2 while tied into a rope team up there. No choice but to just drop the pants and let go right there and then. :oops:
kheegster

Postby lisae » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Dragger wrote:I often feel like barfing on the way to a climb if it's a windy, twisty road to get there.

I get car sick. When we go to the Pinnacles, I usually don't feel real good for the first hour or so. Sigh...
lisae

Postby Dragger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:28 am

lisae wrote:
Dragger wrote:I often feel like barfing on the way to a climb if it's a windy, twisty road to get there.

I get car sick. When we go to the Pinnacles, I usually don't feel real good for the first hour or so. Sigh...

Sorry Lisa, I feel your pain! Have you ever tried Trader Joe's ginger chews? Come to think of it, they might work for mind AMS also, not sure.
Dragger

Postby LazyrLegs » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:01 am

I tend to barf - until discovering the wonderful, delicious, fruit-flavored Tums (can almost convince yourself they're Sweet-Tarts).

Oh yeah - avoid those Clif Bars - gack!
LazyrLegs

Postby lisae » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Dragger wrote:
lisae wrote:

Sorry Lisa, I feel your pain! Have you ever tried Trader Joe's ginger chews? Come to think of it, they might work for mind AMS also, not sure.

Ginger doesn't seem to work for me. I try to be the driver because I get less car sick if I drive. So far that is the best solution . . .
lisae

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:43 pm

REAL nervous the night before a big climb

No sleep the night before a big climb

Fortunately, the anxiety disappears hiking up the talus
Sierra Ledge Rat

Postby bird » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 pm

2 times I puked about 3 days before leaving for big climbing trips. Thought it was nerves, finally decided it was a coincidental stomach bug...but in the back of my mind, wonder about the next big trip.
bird

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander