Classmates?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
SJD

Classmates?

by SJD » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Everytime I hit the SP site I now get an annoying pop-up ad for "Classmates". This does not happen on any other sites.

I am running IE8 and AVG. The pop-up occurs after clicking on a link to read messages in the forums. Am I the only one getting this stuff? :?:

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Classmates?

by Bob Burd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:48 pm

SJD wrote:Everytime I hit the SP site I now get an annoying pop-up ad for "Classmates". This does not happen on any other sites.

I am running IE8 and AVG. The pop-up occurs after clicking on a link to read messages in the forums. Am I the only one getting this stuff? :?:

SP shouldn't be generating *any* pop-ups, far as I know. It is plausible that you have malware (or adware or whatever the half dozen mutant variants are called) installed on your computer. You may need an anti-virus program to clear it out.

SJD

by SJD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks for the replies guys -

I have "cleared" my PC from the thing, guess my point is it seems to originate from SP?

Cheers -

Shawn

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:38 am

SJD wrote:Thanks for the replies guys -

I have "cleared" my PC from the thing, guess my point is it seems to originate from SP?

Cheers -

Shawn

It is easy to see how it might appear to be originating from SP, but It probably didn't or others would have seen the same thing. It's possible that there is a word or words in the URL link or somewhere in the retrieved document that the adware keys off, such as "class" or "mate", thus triggering the pop-up. Why someone would create such a pop-up program that will likely alienate you to the Classmates site is beyond me.

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:49 am

Run Firefox with Adblock Plus plugin. bye bye ads

SJD

by SJD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 am

Thanks again Bob (and others for the advice). It certainly answers my original question - must just be my PC. Again I have scrubbed it from my PC, but noticed AVG blocking it when I hit the California forum multiple times before that.

Indeed, why would a company actively promote their website thru a pop-up ad; go figure.

Thanks for your time.

Bob Burd wrote:
SJD wrote:Thanks for the replies guys -

Cheers -

Shawn

It is easy to see how it might appear to be originating from SP, but It probably didn't or others would have seen the same thing. It's possible that there is a word or words in the URL link or somewhere in the retrieved document that the adware keys off, such as "class" or "mate", thus triggering the pop-up. Why someone would create such a pop-up program that will likely alienate you to the Classmates site is beyond me.

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:11 am

The Defiant One wrote:Run Firefox with Adblock Plus plugin. bye bye ads
THIS. Browsing has never been the same since I switched to FireFox.

redcell6613

by redcell6613 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 am

Firefox and AVG got rid of it all for me as well

Return to Site Feedback