Anybody in Costa Rica??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
Luciano136

Anybody in Costa Rica??

by Luciano136 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Will be there in November; flying in to Liberia. Wouldn't mind scrambling up some volcano. Any suggestions?

no avatar
Justin Pucci

by Justin Pucci » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 pm

My wife and I lived there for the summer of 2006 in Playa del Coco and worked in the Liberia area. We did Rincon de la Vieja, although we got turned around before the top due to extremely heavy rain (to the point of flash flood conditions). The scenery down the is such a HUGE difference from North American mountains and volcanoes. It's really amazing to see the lushness of the forest and density of wildlife that are on Costa Rican mountains and volcanoes. The trails we were on in the various national parks are not very strenuous and none of them were of a technical nature, but we had a great time and lots of good photo ops. You should check it out if you've got time! :)

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks!! Definitely looking to so some hiking. Should be there for about 1.5 week.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 am

Well, I am going to Costa Rica in a few weeks. I'm thinking about a day hike to Volcán Turrialba out of Monteverde. I will have a 4wd vehicle and GPS. If anyone else has hints or tips on hiking this volcano, it would be much appreciated!

BLong

Costa Rica

by BLong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 am

The country high point Cerro Chirripo is a really fun outing. Try and book a bed in advance at the high hut. I wasn't able to get a bed and ended up doing the hike in one day. This was o.k., but it was a long day.

Here is the page for the mountain:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... rripo.html

Not sure if the page talks about the hot springs, but there are some nice hot springs in the town just below the mountain!

Enjoy

no avatar
Thunderbird7

by Thunderbird7 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Rincon has some really easy forest trails with excellent mud pools - you know smelly fart sounding things - well worth a look. The trails go higher up but it is active.

You can drive to the top of Irazu but Arenal is the most impressive although too active to climb - better to sit on your balcony at the observatory lodge with a beer watching the lava flying down.

tom sewell

south costa rica hi peak

by tom sewell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:40 am

anybody ever done that hi peak a ways south of chirripo near panama border? it begins with a "K" and looked cool tho quite a ways in. isnt all that hi country a park?

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Wow, some posts to my OLD thread here! I actually hiked up Cerro Chato right next to Arenal. On election night we had dinner in a restaurant that looks out right to Arenal; it was pretty cool. You could see the lava bombs come down. It was a great time.

Here she is on our hike:

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean