American needs European beta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Mathias Zehring

Re: American needs European beta

by Mathias Zehring » Wed May 25, 2005 8:26 pm

An increasing number of huts in Austria / Italy (less in Switzerland) has showers, but still not the majority.
Huts in Austria and Italy normally have some 2-bed-rooms - but they are the first to be occupied.
Camping near the hut and using the facilities of the hut depends on permission of the warden. If you ask polite and offer some money I guess it will be accepted. Eating in the hut is no problem.
Weather in the alps isn't very stable. Afternoon and night showers are common even if the weather in general is fine. Take this into consideration for camping.

Noah (Oregon)

by Noah (Oregon) » Wed May 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Again, I agree with Mathias. I would simply try to get a private room (Privatzimmer) and if you start calling now (the season hasn't even started) you can certainly get one. Just don't pin all your hopes on one weekend. The weather can turn on you. Give yourself a window of opportunity... like a week with time in Innsbruck, Bavaria, Neuschwanstein, Reutte, etc... Then bust a move to the mountain when the weather looks solid. Just give the hut some idea about your plans. I think a rental car is worth it in the Alps because some of the side valleys have very limited service and you can often park at trailheads if you have a car... NOAH

p.s. They DO have showers at this hut (Innsbruecker).

Noah (Oregon)

by Noah (Oregon) » Thu May 26, 2005 6:14 am

<a href="http://www.innsbrucker-huette.at/index2.htm">innsbrucker-huette.at</a> does have rooms with four beds, but nothing smaller. You could book the whole room and tell the Wirt you are on your honeymoon. Maybe he will give you a good deal...

marcminish

by marcminish » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:10 pm

Okay... my plan is in evolution. Instead of climbing we're going to just be hiking in the mountains. It seems my girlfriend's mom threw a fit about her going climbing.

Anyway, do you guys have any nice alpine trials that you could recommend? I'd like to find a picturesque two/three day backpacking route... the easier and prettier the better. If it is a loop hike that would be the best.

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:54 am

is it very easy to get to the Insbrucker Hut without a car? can i hire transportation or walk from Innsbruck?

Mathias Zehring

by Mathias Zehring » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:46 am

sorry, I missed the continuation of this thread:

okay, some tipps are:

A) Venediger Hoehenweg east:
Day 1: from Matreier Tauernhaus (1550m) to St. Poltener hut (2481m); Tauernkogel (2989m) as additional summit possible
Day 2: St. Pöltener Westweg trail to Neue Prager hut (2796m), very fine scenery. Easy but 7 h walk
Day 3: back to Matreier Tauernhaus or traversing lower Schlatenkees glacier or even lower on the hiking trail, crossing Loebbentoerl pass (2770m) to Badener hut (2608m).Some short parts with cables, great <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/photo_link.pl/p/photo_id__6271__object_id__658__type__mountain__mountain_id__658__route_id____user_id____order_by____limit__">scenery</A>
Day 4: Down to the Tauerntal valley and with bus back to Matreier Tauernhaus. If you are quick you can climb <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/1120">Kristallwand (3329m)</A> in the morning on marked route

B) Venediger Hoehenweg west:
Day 1: from Virgental valley (Hinterbichl, 1336m) to Essener Rostocker hut (2208m). Climbing Rostocker Eck (2749m) in addition possible.
Day 2: crossing Tuermljoch (2790m) to Johannis hut (2121m). If this is not enough – the next stage is over Sajatscharte (ca. 2750m) to Sajat hut (2575m)
Day 3: Praegratener Höhenweg trail to Timmeltal valley and down to Praegraten.
Path is sometimes narrow with sand and a litle bit exposed.

C) Stubai – Innsbrucker hut has already been named:
Day 1: to Innsbrucker hut
Day 2: hiking trail top Bremer hut (6h)
Day 3: further on to Nürnberger hut or down back to Stubai valley

D) southern Zillertal Alps - South Tyrol
Day 1: Sand in Taufers - Speikboden cable car (2000); Kellerbauer hiking trail to Neveserjoch hut (2416m).
Day 2: Neveser Hoenweg trail to Edelraute hut (2545m), climbing Napfspitze (2888m) possible in the afternoon
Day 3: Down to Mühlwalder Tal (two options) and with bus back to Sand in Taufers

Mathias Zehring

by Mathias Zehring » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:46 am

I am curious how your holiday develloped! Weather wasn''t fine in the Alps last summer - I cancelled almost all of my intended weekend trips.

Charles

by Charles » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:39 pm

Yes, I´d second Mountaindog, Bavaria and Austria. Tirol, Subai, Zillertal, Hohe Tauern Wilder Kaiser all are good, nearly every taste is caterd for.

olepetemercury

by olepetemercury » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:40 am

Depending where girlfriend lives, how about Les Dents du Midi in Switzerland? Situated off the Rhone valley near Lake Geneva. Start from Champery , 22km total there and back option of staying at a mountain hut on the way up. Summit over 10,000ft. more of a hike than climb. Known as the gateway to the Alps.(See page on this web site)
Pete

Previous

Return to Europe