Utah hikers spotting ice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Dan Shorb

Utah hikers spotting ice

by Dan Shorb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Its becoming alpine ice season, and I would certainly appreciate everyone in Utah keeping their eyes peeled for it, and reporting it here. Timp in particular, but also in the Stansburys, La Sals, and Uintas, there are areas high enough to be getting snow and yet have a Freeze-Thaw going on over the next few weeks.

Thanks

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Am. Twins. had a few pieces of ice, but nothing that was substantial. This next storm may provide the perfect set up, especially with how warm it is today.

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:13 am

Any ice spotting yet? I've been doing a lot of low-elevation cragging in sunny areas, so nothing for me to report.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:04 pm

marauders wrote:Any ice spotting yet? I've been doing a lot of low-elevation cragging in sunny areas, so nothing for me to report.

Believe it or not, The pricecicle appeared climbable on Friday, although I didnt have my stuff.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Has noone been hiking Timp? :roll:

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:31 am

d_shorb wrote:
marauders wrote:Any ice spotting yet? I've been doing a lot of low-elevation cragging in sunny areas, so nothing for me to report.

Believe it or not, The pricecicle appeared climbable on Friday, although I didnt have my stuff.

Oooo, that's good to know. Looks like there are some good obs on MtnProject too

PocketsOfBlue

by PocketsOfBlue » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:20 pm

I went on a little ice quest this weekend. Drove down to Provo Canyon and there were slivers of ice on all the north-facing gullies, but nothing climbable. I unfortunately don't have my pics available; however, the recent MP pics are pretty much what I saw.

Timp was looking a bit more promising. From the parking lot it looked like those higher flows on the left part of Roberts Horn might be climbable though I didn't have the motivation to hike up there and see for myself!

PocketsOfBlue

by PocketsOfBlue » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 am

Cody's in:

http://www.coldfear.com/conditions.htm

In case anyone's REALLY jonesin' to get on some ice...gonna be a while for Utah, methinks.

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:11 am

On Saturday, Matt Long was telling me that the Dirtsicle is well-formed and climbable. He saw it just 3 or 4 days ago.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:18 am

marauders wrote:On Saturday, Matt Long was telling me that the Dirtsicle is well-formed and climbable. He saw it just 3 or 4 days ago.

The top of it came off, and is pretty much a piece of crap now...oh well.

Some friends are saying there is plenty of ice in the Wasatch, but its all being groomed and skied on... :lol:

This weekend will undoubtedly change things, so lets keep our eyes peeled. If we can recover from Liquid Joe's Friday Night...

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Not sure where to put this, but figured I'd post up some Provo conditions.

Things are looking better than last week:

Stairway is in through five pitches. The fifth pitch column looks about typical (not super fat, not super thin). No ice touching down above p5.

Bridal Veil right is in, White Nightmare looks good. Bridal Veil left is sort of a disaster.

Down-canyon, Pipe Dream/Kitty Litter Wall is in, but the upper stuff is not. The standard climb is in though.

Up-canyon, the Fang looks good from the road. Also, to the left of the fang, there is a massive wall of ice that looks good and thick as well.

Finger of Fate is in about as "easy" of conditions as I've seen it. There must have been a slide in that gully, cause there is a TON of snow built up around the base of the climb. It looks really good right now.

Miller's Thriller also looks quite good. It's recovered nicely from the warm snap.

Post Nasal Drip is still in mixed mode.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:55 am

builttospill wrote:Not sure where to put this, but figured I'd post up some Provo conditions.

Things are looking better than last week:

Stairway is in through five pitches. The fifth pitch column looks about typical (not super fat, not super thin). No ice touching down above p5.

Bridal Veil right is in, White Nightmare looks good. Bridal Veil left is sort of a disaster.

Down-canyon, Pipe Dream/Kitty Litter Wall is in, but the upper stuff is not. The standard climb is in though.

Up-canyon, the Fang looks good from the road. Also, to the left of the fang, there is a massive wall of ice that looks good and thick as well.

Finger of Fate is in about as "easy" of conditions as I've seen it. There must have been a slide in that gully, cause there is a TON of snow built up around the base of the climb. It looks really good right now.

Miller's Thriller also looks quite good. It's recovered nicely from the warm snap.

Post Nasal Drip is still in mixed mode.

sick thx.

thigbee

by thigbee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:18 am

builttospill wrote:Not sure where to put this, but figured I'd post up some Provo conditions.

I climbed there over the weekend. The ice wasn't the greatest. It was soft and snowy, but that's to be expected with the warmth. The WI 3 bit was in, but there was no ice on the curtain to the right. I also did the mixed lines on the left and cleaned them up a bit :) Less loose rock now...

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Nice....I didn't walk up to them, but I've been meaning to get over there and climb in that area sometime soon. Maybe it'll stay in through part of next week....

Marauders and I went to Maple on tuesday. It was a mixed bag, but there was enough stuff in at that point to climb. We found Roadside Couloir, Running Man, Hog Jowls and Chicken Limbo in. Also, Bowling Ball Head, and the Brittle Stiffie were in (the last pitch of the Brittle Stiffie was out). Wet Itchies was thin.

The problem is that with warm temps, I'd be hesitant to rely on the ice down there much. I'm not sure how warm it's been in Maple....things didn't seem to be actively melting when we were there, unless they were getting direct sun. So....take your chances if you like. The climbing is pretty cool though.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Heading for the Zicicle tomorrow (Oct issue Climbing Mag). Made my Zion rock partners scope it out in advance....(long ass approach)...after one trip getting stuck...then yesterday suffering deep snow....they tell me its in. Zach Lee and I will giver her a go tomorrow. Burr's photography was quite inspiring. Lets see if it measures up!

Next

Return to Utah